X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by c117152 View Post
    You're just adding fuel to the fire. If this specific board is beaten by shelf products only 10$ more expensive, how much more BOM would it take to get the SoCs and the packaging to server quality? 15$ more for ECC? Throw out the GPU and put an NVM Sata bus for an extra 10$? Dump the wifi and shove a gigabyte ethernet controller in for about the same price?
    most of the costs are because of production run size, a bigass 16-core Xeon does not cost much more to make than an i7 as far as production costs go, most of the difference is in the production run sizes.

The prices of most SoCs are determined by that and by market segment (i.e. by how much they think they can have others pay for that).

Hardware costs are completely and utterly irrelevant for a company server (any person in your workforce costs more or MUCH more per-month), so it's not likely they will try to undercut anyone.

Leave a comment:

• c117152
    replied
    You're just adding fuel to the fire. If this specific board is beaten by shelf products only 10$ more expensive, how much more BOM would it take to get the SoCs and the packaging to server quality? 15$ more for ECC? Throw out the GPU and put an NVM Sata bus for an extra 10$? Dump the wifi and shove a gigabyte ethernet controller in for about the same price?

This is way too close a margin regardless of how you count it. The big datacenters are already building their own for some loads. It won't take long before other segments start picking up on this

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    You really think these are such insurmountable problems for a market built on Android and ChromeOS?
    You mean in a market where I can get a device like that in a plastic case with external antennas, a more modern Android and shipping with Kodi pre-installed (and customized to work better with it), like for example stuff from Minix, at like 90$?

This is an 80$ dev board.
    Wrong. This is a 80$ mass-produced commercial product squarely aimed at consumers.
    Dev boards with less than half these features cost orders of magnitude more because they aren't mass-produced in large numbers.

Those 2GHz SoC are fitted with proper sata and gigabyte ethernet in other products. Sure, they're shitty minipcs and the likes...
    that's stuff that gets beaten in features and freedom by whatever from x86 camp, no thanks.
    Shitty embedded stuff has an edge in tablet and mobile, but for anything else no. Just fucking no.

But why would AMD want to compete in a market that can turn competitive by slashing prices in half in a quarter or two? Cause this is what the Korean & Chinese SoC markets are right now.
    That's because they have no clue, they never had any clue, their only strategy is make many new shit products with short support windows. This limits the potential market for their stuff to devices that don't last and have half-baked features and firmware.

AMD's foray into ARM should begin when they offer pin-compatible ARM CPUs for the same socket used by Zen.

Then it will make sense to use ARM stuff in serious devices and this will start some wheels.

Besides, Intel recently pulled their Atoms from this category too... Did they have technical difficulties as well?
    You probably missed the news that they were selling at a loss in mobile. Which isn't exactly totally unexpected, as most OEMs in mobile prefer the cheap and throwaway SoCs from the usual suspects.

Leave a comment:

• c117152
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    you mean a board that has no sata whatsoever, whose eth isn't actually gigabit due to board limitations, and whose pcie slot is inoperative atm, and whose only firmware is an Android 5.0?

Yeah, I guess they don't want to compete with that shit.
    You really think these are such insurmountable problems for a market built on Android and ChromeOS? This is an 80$ dev board. Those 2GHz SoC are fitted with proper sata and gigabyte ethernet in other products. Sure, they're shitty minipcs and the likes... But why would AMD want to compete in a market that can turn competitive by slashing prices in half in a quarter or two? Cause this is what the Korean & Chinese SoC markets are right now.

Besides, Intel recently pulled their Atoms from this category too... Did they have technical difficulties as well?

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Or they don't want to compete in the same space as: http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/08/...mpliant-board/ ...

But I guess we'll see how the market reacts next year.
    you mean a board that has no sata whatsoever, whose eth isn't actually gigabit due to board limitations, and whose pcie slot is inoperative atm, and whose only firmware is an Android 5.0?

Yeah, I guess they don't want to compete with that shit.

Leave a comment:

• c117152
    replied
    Or they don't want to compete in the same space as: http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/08/...mpliant-board/ ...

But I guess we'll see how the market reacts next year.

Leave a comment:

• GraysonPeddie
    replied
    Michael, could you please have my posts be approved for premium subscribers?

Thanks.

Update: My post has already been approved. Thanks.
    Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 03 September 2016, 08:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GraysonPeddie
    replied
    My wish for having an ARM board is having 4 SATA ports for 4 2.5" hard drives and one SD card slot for Arch Linux or Ubuntu Server (yes, Arch Linux does have ARM, but I believe it's for Raspberry Pi devices but I could be wrong) and a single Gigabit port.

But then I suppose there isn't a market for build-your-own mini server with ARM board... x86 is pretty much the dominant architecture to go with, even for a very small server having only the space for 2 2.5" hard drives such as Mini-Box M350, but if only I could fit four in that...

Raspberry Pi 3 could be a great server board for powering smart house with Home Assistant, but I don't see myself using RPi 3 as a fully-fledged MINI NAS server for streaming ripped movies over my internal network due to Ethernet being shared with USB ports.

And no, 3.5" hard drives do not count. 2.5" is the way forward for me.

Well, so much for AMD.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    This probably works out well for AMD since the ARM market has pretty much dried up for anything outside of phones. Plus I know AMD is shifting to focus more on getting Zen out the door.

Leave a comment:

• It Doesn't Look Like We'll See AMD ARM Development Boards This Year

Phoronix: It Doesn't Look Like We'll See AMD ARM Development Boards This Year

Things don't appear to be looking up for AMD's ARM efforts. It's looking like we probably won't be seeing AMD ARM development boards publicly available this year, if not the end of 2016, and there won't be many of them going around...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X