There's Still No Sign Of AMD's Low-Cost ARM Development Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    That's an issue for Intel, not for AMD. If that happens it's Intel that gets axed, not AMD that is resurrected.
    no, it is an issue for state and state has history of pouring billions into failing companies

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      no, it is an issue for state and state has history of pouring billions into failing companies
      I thought US axed monopolists to split them instead. AT&T was axed to split it. I admit I'm not following this as I'm not a US citizen so I track closely other nations, did this change in more recent times in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        AT&T was axed to split it
        because there was no competitor to save by that time

Comment

because there was no competitor to save by that time
          considering how it is going, if Zen fails there would be very little to save on x86 too.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            Sadly I think AMD has gone stupid with respect to ARM based hardware. I really see ARM based hardware as the way forward for modern computing systems. The fact that ARM is going after the super computing market ought to highlight the potential in the hardware. Combine that with the problems Intel and AMD have with hardware bloat in their chips ought to have shown AMD the path to the future.
            You are neglecting the golden fact that AMD is only alternate x86 source that has the licence that enables them to compete there.They absolutely ahd to ration their resources and this is the battle they could not afford to lose. With ARM they would be in the best case just one of many, with x86 they are alternate source in game of two players, where other player is so massive it creates its own gravity.

With Zen out, fresh cash will flow in, their stock value will jump and they will get to breathe a little so they can follow with Zen+ then ARM's time will come, this time preferably with some seroious in-house designed competitor.

Comment

With a couple of exceptions (including previous poster) it seems that roughly half the posters think we are stupid for doing anything less than 100% ARM while the other half think we are stupid for doing anything with ARM at all.

That tells me our strategy is probably not bad under the circumstances.
              Test signature

Comment

yes, windows software on torrent sites. who cares?
                Those of us who own hundreds of closed-source x86/amd64 Linux games. (Possibly over a thousand. I can't remember how many of my Linux-listed GOG and Humble purchases are DOSBox-wrapped/ScummVM-based/etc. off the top of my head.)

I'm constantly reminded of which games are and aren't either open-source or emulatable on an 800MHz-overclocked ARM because I own a 600MHz-era OpenPandora (An ARM palmtop with gaming controls and an Xfce desktop).

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  With a couple of exceptions (including previous poster) it seems that roughly half the posters think we are stupid for doing anything less than 100% ARM while the other half think we are stupid for doing anything with ARM at all.

That tells me our strategy is probably not bad under the circumstances.
                  It is more like 50% are "go ARM for lulz", 25% are "stay x86 for lulz", 25% are "now stay x86 to get cash to go ARM later".

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    Those of us who own hundreds of closed-source x86/amd64 Linux games
                    i think that was said in server context

Comment

i think that was said in server context
                      I suppose "yes, windows software on torrent sites. who cares?" could be interpreted that way.

I keep forgetting about things like SharePoint when there's so much open-source or SaaS server software to attract the interest of people who upload torrents. (It's not as if this is the pre-YouTube era and we're all high-schoolers pirating WinGate to share our dial-up Internet with some old PCs we linked using scrounged Ethernet cards.)

Comment

Working...
                      X