No announcement yet.

There's Still No Sign Of AMD's Low-Cost ARM Development Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with AMD's A1100 paper launch (after a two year-delay) sorted itself out for me with SolidRun's Armada 8040 board. In the meantime I've managed to port a good deal of code to ARMv8 on my "workhorse" RK3368, so I can start benchmarking and performance-tuning as soon as the 8040 arrives in October. When there's a desire there's a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      More like 3 years, and it is a total redesign.
      finishing whatever they begun as changing course now would have wasted the development effort.
      That said, ARM space is a very high-competition low-margin market in the consumer segment you talked about.
      Big companies don't give a shit about lack of support, they want stuff that works decently now and costs a few bucks. Mediatek usually wins here.

AMD GPUs aren't in high demand in embedded market where at most you need to display 2D content, and I doubt they can make a decent GPU for mobile (decent = powerful AND low-power enough).
      Wouldn't call a Smart TV SoC market neither lo margin nor overflowing with competition one. It's a nice steady one with a decent size & it's lagging behind almost every other. The Satellite receiver one is totally another pair of slippers & MIPS rules there.
      Zen is in active development more than 3 years now & we only had a glimpse at prototype recently so all in all you will find my prediction of 5 years as pretty much accurate one.
      What development efforts? Licensing a POP IP cores from ARM & putting them together with available GPU's from APU's. I ensure you how that require a bare minimum of development efforts. Actually MTK risen doing it like that.
      & I don't give a shit what big companies give shit about so I will always give my money rather to Qualcomm than MTK & certainly not because I love Qualcomm but because I love to know what I am putting in & that I am able to control & alter it (Code Aurora).
      I am not certain that you even know what embedded is. Their mostly aren't any dedicated GPU's in embedded microcontroller products not even 2D ones.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        their CPU division is basically disbanded and AMD becomes a GPU-only company)
        that will make intel monopoly, so it is not that simple

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
          long term x86
          x86 is only relevant for legacy windows apps, everything which could be recompiled, does not depend on x86, and x86 (as isa) has no other benefits

Comment

Once Zen is in the market, I think they will be able to scale down
            lol, like intel was able to scale down in smartphones for billion dollar losses and eventual quit

Comment

Originally posted by Zola View Post
              Wouldn't call a Smart TV SoC market neither lo margin nor overflowing with competition one.
              That's your own problem, embedded market is low-margin and there is fierce competition.

Zen is in active development more than 3 years now & we only had a glimpse at prototype recently so all in all you will find my prediction of 5 years as pretty much accurate one.
              No it is not, they changed their mind in 2012, and started in 2013. To be stuff that has 5 years they would have been developing this since 2011 or something which is not possible as they were well into their failed architecture back then.

What development efforts? Licensing a POP IP cores from ARM & putting them together with available GPU's from APU's. I ensure you how that require a bare minimum of development efforts. Actually MTK risen doing it like that.
              GPUs from APUs break the power budget of the overwhelming majority of devices, they need to scale them down a lot.

& I don't give a shit what big companies give shit about
              But AMD does as they deal with companies if they make SoCs for embedded, so yes they care.
              so I will always give my money rather to Qualcomm than MTK
              Are you a big company buying batches of 100k SoCs? No? Then your opinion is irrelevant.
              I am not certain that you even know what embedded is. Their mostly aren't any dedicated GPU's in embedded microcontroller products not even 2D ones.
              Embedded is a broad category spanning pretty much all electronic devices that aren't PCs.
              And yes, more often than not (if they have a screen at all) they only have display controllers, more rarely 2D GPUs, VERY VERY VERY rarely 3D capable GPUs.
              So I don't see why the fuck would someone actually care about AMD's good 3D GPUs in that segment.

Comment

X86 has software availability, plain and simple.
                yes, windows software on torrent sites. who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  that will make intel monopoly, so it is not that simple
                  That's an issue for Intel, not for AMD. If that happens it's Intel that gets axed, not AMD that is resurrected.

Although Intel is already in monopoly in server and laptop, and near-monopoly in desktop market.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                    A Xeon D is still a vastly better processor if you are into the microserver market
                    when you lose on benchmarks to much cheaper competition on two generation older process, you are vastly inferior

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      Any sense in this speculation or no?
                      no sense

Comment

Working...
                      X