There's Still No Sign Of AMD's Low-Cost ARM Development Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    did r600 use anywhere near the order of magnitude of power that Adreno is allotted? I think not.
    In the form of Imageon, yes it did.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      In the form of Imageon, yes it did.
      That's a different thing that has a similar high-level block diagram. Ok that they are somewhat similar on logic level but they are NOT as close as you might think.

That said, they sold that stuff to Qualcomm like 6 years ago or something I think, so they cannot revive it or Qualcomm comes bashing them, anything new has to be done from near-scratch.

Not that it is impossible, just noting that it's less straightforward as you may think.

Comment

No, raspi3 is shit because it was designed to be a GPU with a CPU strapped on to do some minor things, and has only a USB port for device connectivity.
        That's what I'm saying, hw is shit, but the sw crucially isn't (relatively speaking).

Without a nazi leader (Steve Jobs) to whip them into making anything great, they can only come up with the same pathetic custom hardware.
        Fixed:
        Toned down the need for standardization, as I think the 96boards spec is part of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          I really see ARM based hardware as the way forward for modern computing systems.
          new way is riscv

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
            low-cost Google Chrome notebooks with excellent power efficiency? You want x86.
            you don't.
            That's called "catchup" and we have a graveyard of companies
            'that' here is intel's smartphone fiasco
            *ARM really isn't that special when a 65 watt Xeon-D with 16 cores is practically unbeatable in a energy efficiency metric at this point.
            1) arm uses less power for same performance 2) 'intel' bundles isa with factories. 'arm' is just isa. 3) comparable arm is also much cheaper than xeon

Comment

may I suggest an alternative that's truly an SoC with strong power efficiency: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10574/...f-atom-iot-kit
              nobody wants intel's socs, even sold at loss

Comment

Originally posted by Duve View Post
                That said, with CentOS behind them now, I would not be surprised if the community spends some time on a AArch64 port (which I think the AltArch SIG is doing at this point) that gets Red Hat's notice latter.
                ??? https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Archi...4/Installation

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
                  That's what I'm saying, hw is shit, but the sw crucially isn't (relatively speaking).
                  Ah ok, sorry for that.

Toned down the need for standardization, as I think the 96boards spec is part of the problem.
                  You are an idiot.
                  Your edit makes no fucking sense. Apple is doing masterful artwork tightly embedded hardware that is totally useless beyond their intended scope (single-user, single-disk, not-terribly-powerful dumb-end-user-devices), which is exactly what most manufacturers are doing already (minus the "masterwork artwork" part)

Standardization is the only thing that allows to keep costs down enough for stuff to sell, AND that allows people to make different devices out of the same components. Then sure there are good and bad standards. But standardization should be the goal.

96boards does not have any kind of clout like say Microsoft or Intel back then that bascially DOMINATED (and still do in x86 land), so they cannot really make designs that are too inconvenient for manufacturers or they risk auto-failing as none shows up.

The road to get the manufacturers to reach some kind of standardized non-shit bootloader sequence and firmware like with UEFI is long and perilous.

Comment

AMD, appears to have partially suceced in the goal of making the A1100 arm opterons, they scared NVIDIA and Samsung off the server market, made Qualcomm spend more time in designing a decent chip that won't enter the market in the short term, so when Zen based server products enter the market it isen't overflooded with arm server products.

The A1100 doesen't even look like a serius effort from AMD, It only adresses the low power, low end server market for 25-35Watts, and AMD has the expertise to design a custom core if they really wanted to enter the arm server market seriuslly, this really looks like a low cost design just meant to scare and confuse the competition.

But still I must ask, do these cpu's support KVM or just plain Qemu?

Comment

This explains why the Linaro Cloud hasn't responded to my request for an AMD A1100 based CentOS host yet.

The 14nm 65W 16C/32T Xeon D-1587 is around, but expect to pay north of $1500 for the SoC and its only in BGA.

While people seem to have access to pre-release fabs, its still not on Intel ARK.

Comment

Working...
                      X