Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chuckula
    replied
    That's all you got? Those white elephant Cavium products? Yeah, I've been aware of them -- mostly due to their overhyped marketing -- for a very long time. Not impressed with the performance and the bloated core count numbers don't do much for me either. A Xeon D is still a vastly better processor if you are into the microserver market and a higher end Xeon is still the vastly better processor for high end workloads that these Cavium toys can't even run.

Leave a comment:

• Zola
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I'm going to inform you that your return key seems to be broken.

That said, you're still talking of non-short-term plans.
    AMD is focused on getting out of the shit they are drowning in first (if Zen fails as hard as their last desktop FX processors their CPU division is basically disbanded and AMD becomes a GPU-only company), and the most likely chip that sells NOW is x86.

Of course all future plans are on hold.
    Well Zen whosent a short turn plan it's actually developed for 5 years now (& that is a uper limit for mid range plan's). Short range plan would be license POP IP ARM 28 nm cores paid them with a GPU that you already have on the same lithography trow your branding on it & over it cheap on a market that needs it (like cheap development bord). This all takes 6 months to tape out along with supply chain as you aren't rooting almost anything (supposedly that you have already developed drigers) & that is a very short term plan that do turn the key along with opening the doors in the future for offering more real industrial turn key solutions in the future (as the AMD is still much more trusted company than for instance MTK). & I can tell you that there are many markets and many products for such kind and of products to name a few Smart TV SoC's (MTK currently supplies both Sony & Philips), smart TV boxes & cetera.

Leave a comment:

• LinuxID10T
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Which do you think is the right cow ? Short term ARM server focus or short term x86 followed by longer term ARM ?
    IMO, short term x86 and long term x86. I think the whole dense server market was a fad to begin with. I think AMD should have seen this coming, but without real corporate leadership, it was just a ship without a rudder. The company under Lisa Su seems a lot more focused and I think that is what they really need. Once Zen is in the market, I think they will be able to scale down, as opposed to trying to scale ARM up. When it comes down to it, these days, the ISA doesn't really matter from a performance and power standpoint, but software availability does. X86 has software availability, plain and simple.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Zola View Post
    Well the word in the wilds is that AMD Is ditching all current and future ARM core plans in favor of Zen. Now that would be a plane black cow and by the all means wrong one.
    But the right cow is not a wite one nor is that simple. AMD certainly have more expertise in servere design from any one other (excluding the Intel of course) so they should stop chasing the windmills & focus on proven fact that ARM IP's are simply better to start from if they do want to gain on Intel (that by the way is even more stubborn concerning this). Second part is the future of computing (& server workloads there for) doesn't belong to the many general purpose cores, they will be there alright but in more modest count number & only for general purpose intermediate tasks and to alow system to boot up independently. The future belongs to most tasks and intermediate number of tasks as general purpose as possible accelerators in the first place FPGA's. So AMD should be actually also working on merge with some FPGA manufacturer. Intel did well purchasing Altera but naturally AMD can't do something like that & no one actually can purchase AMD without AMD losing its X86 license. What can be done is joint venture. Even Intel is smart enough not to try to push his Atom's on upcoming Altera FPGA products (& that should be telling you something about wite cow). So you see real Zen is somewhere else with opposite Ying to one AMD choose & completely different Yong.
    I'm going to inform you that your return key seems to be broken.

That said, you're still talking of non-short-term plans.
    AMD is focused on getting out of the shit they are drowning in first (if Zen fails as hard as their last desktop FX processors their CPU division is basically disbanded and AMD becomes a GPU-only company), and the most likely chip that sells NOW is x86.

Of course all future plans are on hold.

Leave a comment:

• Zola
    replied
    Well the word in the wilds is that AMD Is ditching all current and future ARM core plans in favor of Zen. Now that would be a plane black cow and by the all means wrong one.
    But the right cow is not a wite one nor is that simple. AMD certainly have more expertise in servere design from any one other (excluding the Intel of course) so they should stop chasing the windmills & focus on proven fact that ARM IP's are simply better to start from if they do want to gain on Intel (that by the way is even more stubborn concerning this). Second part is the future of computing (& server workloads there for) doesn't belong to the many general purpose cores, they will be there alright but in more modest count number & only for general purpose intermediate tasks and to alow system to boot up independently. The future belongs to most tasks and intermediate number of tasks as general purpose as possible accelerators in the first place FPGA's. So AMD should be actually also working on merge with some FPGA manufacturer. Intel did well purchasing Altera but naturally AMD can't do something like that & no one actually can purchase AMD without AMD losing its X86 license. What can be done is joint venture. Even Intel is smart enough not to try to push his Atom's on upcoming Altera FPGA products (& that should be telling you something about wite cow). So you see real Zen is somewhere else with opposite Ying to one AMD choose & completely different Yong.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
    Is it really black and white like that?
    According to previous released information K12 would integrate X86 and ARM cores in the same chip (ambidextrous computing)
    No. Ambidexterous computing is their x86 and ARM SoCs/processors are pin-compatible so you can use boards made for x86 (because OEM are a bunch of cats) to install an ARM processor.
    This works ONLY if the UEFI firmware is not arch-specific or runs on common components (like the security cores, that would finally be useful to do something else beside helping NSA), if someone expects the OEMs to actually make ARM UEFI firmwares this comes crashing down.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by ddriver View Post
    This board is nothing special - quad core A57, and it doesn't even come with ram. It is NOT a "special" cpu, it is about the same stuff you see in every decent tablet or phone. That price is laughable, even at 300$. I know enough to know how much it is worth, now if you are willing to pay 1.5k for it - my condolences. Quadruple the cores, and I will get a few at 300$, then it will be a good deal.
    dev-fucking-board.

devboards are SMALL production runs, thus their prices are much higher than the price of a consumer product.

Also devboards are sold traditionally to companies so they do keep high prices because they can.

Raspberry isn't a traditional devboard, it is a consumer product sold in high numbers, same for most crappy clones.

Leave a comment:

• Nille_kungen
    replied
    AMD's Ambidextrous Computing

Leave a comment:

• Nille_kungen
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Which do you think is the right cow ? Short term ARM server focus or short term x86 followed by longer term ARM ?
    Is it really black and white like that?
    According to previous released information K12 would integrate X86 and ARM cores in the same chip (ambidextrous computing) and let us say that it is then more likely that zen cores would be used instead of previous gen cores (even if the plan was to release previous gen cores it wouldn't make sense anymore to not wait for zen).
    If that would be true then K12 needs to wait for zen before it's released, and i would understand if arm isn't the highest priority for AMD.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X