Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Been Going On With CPUFreq & The Scheduler

Phoronix: What's Been Going On With CPUFreq & The Scheduler

As we've been covering the past few kernel cycles, a lot of low-level improvements have been happening to CPUFreq with going through a redesign and more plus the introduction of a new CPUFreq governor. If you're behind on this subject matter, here's some slides from this week's LinuxCon event that covers the changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for sharing this.

I've just enabled schedutil on both my desktop and my laptop, both AMD based, and I'm actually surprised how much better than ondemand this actually is - *especially* under light load conditions, such as watching video and browsing the web. No more 2.5 GHz when they aren't needed, this keeps the laptop noticably cooler.

Comment

Sounds interesting. Any idea when we can get comparison between kernel versions that compares how this change effects performance? Maybe run video encoding in the background while doing a game performance test and see how it compares?

Also, CPUFreq uses a scheduler now? Sounds like the next project systemd will absorb. /s

Comment

asking to experts
        which scheduler should i use on my i5-5200u?
        psate powersave or cpufreq schedutil?

Comment

schedutil killed my IO performance compared to tweaked ondemand + io_is_busy

Comment

'schedutil' and Con's BFS don't mix yet.

Comment

Would be interesting to see the comparison of schedutil against ondemand in conjunction with AMD_FREQ_SENSITIVITY

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
                Thanks for sharing this.

I've just enabled schedutil on both my desktop and my laptop, both AMD based, and I'm actually surprised how much better than ondemand this actually is - *especially* under light load conditions, such as watching video and browsing the web. No more 2.5 GHz when they aren't needed, this keeps the laptop noticably cooler.
                Same here, but Intel/Skylake. Playing videos had my CPU 10C cooler compared to pstate.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
                  Thanks for sharing this.

Sounds interesting. Is there a way to switch to schedutil from the kernel boot parameters instead of recompiling with CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_SCHEDUTIL enabled?

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post

Sounds interesting. Is there a way to switch to schedutil from the kernel boot parameters instead of recompiling with CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_SCHEDUTIL enabled?
                    You can change this either with 'cpupower frequency-set -g' or directly writing to /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor. For other CPUs than cpu0 you have to adjust the path or specify with '-c'for cpupower.

Comment

Working...
                    X