No announcement yet.

ARM Is Being Bought Out By Japan's SoftBank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cellphone was from Softbank back when I lived there (this was pre-smartphone); can't say I had any complaints about it except that they don't allow you to change carrier at all :P

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      I don't know anything about this particular company, I know Japanese companies don't really embrace open source though, that or they don't get the concept. This unlikely to be good news for open source advocates.
      As most japanese companies are part of huge corporations they share tools inside it and do not need opensource that much.

Anyway they love to use the BSD licenced things, as they do not have to give back anything.
      (But why is this licence even exists, its only advantage is just burning 1kB of storage per file...)

Comment

Maybe ARM shareholders are using SoftBank (another company that they may have shares) to bring ARM out of UK after the Brexit fiasco.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
          Maybe ARM shareholders are using SoftBank (another company that they may have shares) to bring ARM out of UK after the Brexit fiasco.
          You think something like this could come together and be finalized in a couple of weeks? I figure this has at least been in the planning stage for months.

And I'm not sure why Brexit would have them running to a Japanese company. Japan is even more insular than the UK and the Yen is a challenging currency for businesses.

Comment

lets hope some open-source friendly company buys the other big UK based chip R&D company (Im.Tech: PowerVR/MIPS) and finally open-sources the GPU driver code...

Comment

Originally posted by Julius View Post
              lets hope some open-source friendly company buys the other big UK based chip R&D company (Im.Tech: PowerVR/MIPS) and finally open-sources the GPU driver code...
              Or hope that AMD is successful in the server ARM market, and then in the mobile market..

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

You think something like this could come together and be finalized in a couple of weeks? I figure this has at least been in the planning stage for months.

And I'm not sure why Brexit would have them running to a Japanese company. Japan is even more insular than the UK and the Yen is a challenging currency for businesses.
                How this relates to "Brexit" is the effect the result had on the relative strength on Sterling and Yen. For a cash rich Japanese firm UK businesses are bargains right now, as long as you don't assume Brexit is going to crash the UK/EU economies to such an extent that high tech business become impractical, for example due to structural energy production shortfall.

See: https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/echarts...JPY=X;range=1d

As of right now -21.62% YTD, ~-30% since same time last year.
                Last edited by s_j_newbury; 18 July 2016, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

Brexit is talked about since last election, at least. So, this can be a backup plan that is being put together since them. But I have to agree that Japan would be an odd choice.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                    Looking at Mali drivers I don't think ARM embrace open source even right now.
                    Just wait till they require an NDA and to buy a SDK to get at the blobs at all.

Comment

I don't see how this would be bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X