Intel Currently Has No Plans For A Turbo Boost Max 3.0 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Currently Has No Plans For A Turbo Boost Max 3.0 Linux Driver

Phoronix: Intel Currently Has No Plans For A Turbo Boost Max 3.0 Linux Driver

Just found a nugget of news from an Intel representative in case you have been eyeing an Intel Broadwell-E processor: there are no driver plans for Linux for the new Turbo Boost Max 3.0 functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did they explained why? Is it hard to implement, or what?

Comment

Well, good thing my next planned upgrade should be a Zen!

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily trust a marketing representative to give detailed technical information about "drivers" for any OS, especially Linux.

Bear in mind, there's no "driver" for AVX support in Linux either. But it works just fine.

Comment

Just purchased an i7-6850K. I am beginning to dislike Intel for their lack of support on Linux. **** them.
          Expect support would come, but perhaps late... to late. The problem is Intels place in the marked which makes them arrogant. Sadly AMD has no mach to their High-End CPUs. If they did perhaps Intel would step up their game.

Comment

"I am beginning to dislike Intel for their lack of support on Linux."

If you don't like Intel's Linux support, then I strongly discourage you from looking into the support levels from any other hardware vendor or you'll get really mad.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
              Did they explained why? Is it hard to implement, or what?
              What exactly needs to be explained? Effort vs. gain.

Comment

Michael, everyone, this feature is fake, and done all in software. Details on semiaccurate: http://semiaccurate.com/2016/06/13/i...-not-released/

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Michael, everyone, this feature is fake, and done all in software. Details on semiaccurate: http://semiaccurate.com/2016/06/13/i...-not-released/
                  Reminds me of the old 950GMA laptop I had. Supported Shader Model 3.0 and Vertex Shaders 3.0 according to Intel, but only software-accelerated, and no official means from Intel to do so (so basically, the features didn't even exist; the reality is that only Pixel Shaders 2.0 existed in the hardware, and absolutely no Vertex Shader hardware support existed which meant no Shader Model compliance at all)

A group I was part of (9xxSSF) ended up modifying their driver to support software-accelerated Vertex Shaders (and thus, SM3.0). Intel sued...

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Given the "source" of that hit piece, I'd be more inclined to want to buy one now even though I wasn't very interested in it before.

Comment

Working...
                    X