A Wild 40-Way Linux System Benchmark Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Just imagine the performance / $ when put @ 4.2Ghz.... Insane!
    In my case change pentium G3220 at 3.0ghz for G3258, but when arrived only put in mainboard and oc at 4.1ghz (dont try stock clock)

If you need high performance on single or maximum dual threaded apps is really good for price

However change intel stock cooler for artic cooling alpine 11 plus with MX4 pre applied

In this images appear some differences between intel stock cooler and artic cooling cooler

And work very fresh in high demanding works case: encoding video (games use cpu but dont in same way than encoding video)

Last edited by pinguinpc; 09 May 2016, 05:13 PM.

Comment

double post

please delete
      Last edited by pinguinpc; 09 May 2016, 05:07 PM.

Comment

So, what happens to the old systems that are 'retired' from the benchmarking farm?

Comment

Originally posted by humdinger70 View Post
          So, what happens to the old systems that are 'retired' from the benchmarking farm?
          They sit in my storage area until I decide to do articles doing super big comparisons or 10 year+ reduxes, etc.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Michael, fix your E3-1280 v5 Xeon, pls. It appears to be sick (perhaps loose heatsink, RAM parity errors, etc.). Do it before more benchies.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I also do programming, photo editing on my PC.
              Also, there are title where the CPU is still the bottleneck, even at high settings: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9307/t...ds-a10-7870k/7

As far as mainstream processors go, intel is faster at any given price point for my needs (I'm talking strictly about CPU pricing, I haven't looked at the cost of the whole platform for quite some time). AMD can win if you factor in the IGP, but I never use that.
              From the comments in the article: -"Apparently, it was an early BIOS that caused the throttling, and as such has now been fixed"-.
              They don't even mention what motherboard were used or what bios version they were running. These benchmarks always leave out important details that can make anyone look bad.

And if you do programming and photo editing i really don't see the reason to go for a more expensive cpu with less cores.

Comment

I really have to try my computer out on these tests and compare, I have a 7 year old Core i7 920 with 8 Mb of cache and 16 Gb of RAM. I haven't felt the need to update anything other than the graphics card, but I have a feeling that it's about time...

Comment

Michael, btw, no Intel Core i7 6700K?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                    If the E3-1280 v5 weren't sick, you could just scale it up by 5% (multi-core) to 8% (singe-core).

BTW, what others have said about different storage devices does throw a lot of doubt on the results. Ideally, all systems should have the same amount of RAM and the same type of SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                      I don't have any i7-6700k... couldn't afford it at the time and Intel didn't send any sample out.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X