Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Wild 40-Way Linux System Benchmark Comparison

Phoronix: A Wild 40-Way Linux System Benchmark Comparison

With recently having upgraded some of the systems in our benchmark lab, commissioned a few new systems, and made some other changes, for your weekend enjoyment are some fresh benchmarks of 40 distinctly different Linux systems various performance tests.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=23142

Somehow the FX 8150 is outperforming the FX 8350 on every test here. That's a bit odd.

Comment

@Michael

Pentium G3258 stay in stock clock?????

And if is could be add test OC at 4.0Ghz

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
        @Michael

Pentium G3258 stay in stock clock?????

And if is could be add test OC at 4.0Ghz

All CPUs are at stock clock frequencies.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'll be getting a new CPU next year, but if I were to buy a CPU this year, what would be a great CPU for decent performance for music making and playing games in Linux that does not put out a lot of heat? I like to go for near-silence or complete silence if I can, as I would like to couple that with a Thermalright HR-22 Heatsink.

I do plan to go for AMD Zen CPU, so I'm not in a rush to buy a new CPU. Kaveri sucks anyway but I'll stick with it for now.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
            I'll be getting a new CPU next year, but if I were to buy a CPU this year, what would be a great CPU for decent performance for music making and playing games in Linux that does not put out a lot of heat? I like to go for near-silence or complete silence if I can, as I would like to couple that with a Thermalright HR-22 Heatsink.

I do plan to go for AMD Zen CPU, so I'm not in a rush to buy a new CPU. Kaveri sucks anyway but I'll stick with it for now.
            Zen is hyped a lot, and if rumors are true, it should be worth it. (As long as it will be sold at a reasonable price.)

Comment

Why is the Xeon E3-1280 v5 often outperformed by slower E3-12xx v5 Xeons? Maybe the heatsink is loose and you're encountering thermal clock throttling?

Maybe it has ECC RAM and you're getting lots of single-bit errors?

IMO, it's worth looking into. Benchmarks are only valid if the systems are working properly.

Comment

Wow, that Xeon E3-1280 v5 sucks. I'm glad no one is using it repeatedly as the main system for doing any kind of benchmarks on a linux related website that posts a lot of benchmark articles.

Comment

The lammps test fails for me with the following error (from debug run):
                  Code:
                  [proxy:0:0@steamos] HYDU_create_process (utils/launch/launch.c:75): execvp error on file lmp_debian (No such file or directory)
                  unless I modify the line:
                  Code:
                  mpirun -np $NUM_CPU_CORES lmp_debian < $@ > $LOG_FILE 2>&1
                  to:
                  Code:
                  mpirun -np $NUM_CPU_CORES ./lmp_debian < $@ > $LOG_FILE 2>&1
                  My specs from the test itself: http://openbenchmarking.org/system/1...ST9851472/test

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                    Somehow the FX 8150 is outperforming the FX 8350 on every test here. That's a bit odd.
                    I wonder if the powersaving features where even disabled in bios.

Comment

Working...
                    X