Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DDR4 EUDIMM Memory I've Been Buying The Most

Phoronix: The DDR4 EUDIMM Memory I've Been Buying The Most

For those that may be in the market for DDR4-2133 EUDIMM memory, here's the particular memory I've been buying the most of these days and haven't run into any problems on using it with several different motherboards for Xeon E3 v5 Skylake systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unfortunately this is single rank memory and I've recently read a blog post explaining the differences in great detail and why one should buy at least dual ranked modules. I can't seem to find it right now, but will edit this post if I find it.

edit: http://frankdenneman.nl/2015/02/20/memory-deep-dive/
    Interleaving accross ranks
    [...] Try to avoid single rank DIMMs.
    I encourage everyone with interest to read the whole series; it's quite educating.

edit2: Several sites quote 10%-30% performance difference in single rank vs dual rank scenarios, but I don't trust them very much. Maybe raw memory speed, but the real-world difference seems to be rather small(Myth #4).

edit3: There don't seem to exist DDR4 ECC DR modules below 8GB, so for a targeted 8GB, dual channel with SR should perform better than single channel with DR.
    Last edited by johnp117; 08 May 2016, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnp117 View Post
      Unfortunately this is single rank memory and I've recently read a blog post explaining the differences in great detail and why one should buy at least dual ranked modules. I can't seem to find it right now, but will edit this post if I find it.

edit: http://frankdenneman.nl/2015/02/20/memory-deep-dive/

I encourage everyone with interest to read the whole series; it's quite educating.

edit2: Several sites quote 10%-30% performance difference in single rank vs dual rank scenarios, but I don't trust them very much. Maybe raw memory speed, but the real-world difference seems to be rather small(Myth #4).

edit3: There don't seem to exist DDR4 ECC DR modules below 8GB, so for a targeted 8GB, dual channel with SR should perform better than single channel with DR.
      From my own testing the difference between single rank and double is bteween 0 and 2% in games and compression.
      So except for precise job (maybe), if single is cheaper, go single rank and invest in other parts.

Comment

Working...
      X