Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian's i386 Builds Now Require 686-Class CPUs

Phoronix: Debian's i386 Builds Now Require 686-Class CPUs

Those running any old VIA C3, AMD K5/K6, or original Intel Pentium CPUs, you'll be losing your Debian support past the current stable (Jessie) series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Add the Intel Quark (Year 2015) to that list.

I still pity the Intel rep that wanted to sell us on this and had to dodge any questions to repeat his PR-accepted lines word-by-word. x86 top-to-bottom ecosystem, right =)

Comment

That's i686, but it's called i386. Both are 32-bit, why they don't name 32-bit packages i686?
      On OpenSUSE, 32-bit packages are suffixed by i586, and on Arch Linux, i686. It's not confusing.

Comment

And for x86-64 its any CPU generation?

They should make a kernel compiled for Intel Skylake.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Yes, it seems 64-bit on x86 architecture did not change. All CPUs with AMD64 or Intel 64 instruction is x86_64 compatible.

They should make a kernel compiled for Intel Skylake.
          Maybe in Ubuntu PPA... There is a linux-ck-skylake kernel on Arch Linux unofficial repo.

Comment

So far, yes. Maybe this will change in 20 years or so =)

Seriously though, x86-64 is a much saner baseline than i586 or i686 (without SSE2) for that matter.

Comment

Does that make MMX mandatory? Though I guess it might not matter, being deprecated already.

Comment

You mean I will need to use a mircoarch that is newer than 1995? Outrageous! :-P

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                  So far, yes. Maybe this will change in 20 years or so =)

Seriously though, x86-64 is a much saner baseline than i586 or i686 (without SSE2) for that matter.
                  Well x64 equivelent x86 might make sense. That would be roughly i686+SSE2. It would also solve FP differences between x86 and x64 modes.

Comment

Some Debian-based distros could still possibly spin kernels for the older hardware and it's just Debian's kernels affected by this change, so all is not lost.

Comment

Working...
                    X