Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Decides To Let Go Of Broxton

Phoronix: Intel Decides To Let Go Of Broxton

Broxton was to be Intel's 2016 Atom SoC platform for phones and tablets. Broxton was to be using 14nm Goldmont CPU cores and Skylake graphics, but now it's no more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This means no x86 Microsoft smartphones and tablets. Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by trifud View Post
      This means no x86 Microsoft smartphones and tablets. Nice.
      I find it interesting that the people who spew the most hate also have the greatest lack of technical competency.

Comment

It's too bad considering that BayTrail has run great for me in an Android tablet. The good news is that at least the Goldmont Atom cores are still going to be available in low-cost PCs and IoT platforms.

The smartphone market is taking a beating anyway as Apple's latest revenues confirm, and the ARM monopoly and locked-down platforms are unfortunately not going away any time soon.

Comment

Wow, Intel finally realized their place in the market. Did hell just freeze over? It wouldn't surprise me if some of those thousands of job cuts they made are related to this.

But seriously, I'm so sick of Intel trying to tap into everything that involves a processor, no matter how little money they will get from it. They just can't stand the idea that there are processor markets that they don't have a name in. I worry for companies like ARM and Atmel, but at least this news helps ease the problem a little bit. ARM is really starting to make something of itself and I'm glad to see the progress they've made in the past 5 years, and I'm glad they're actually doing well enough to make Intel back off.

Comment

I guess it was inevitable seeing how even them spending billions on just giving away the predecessors to the Broxton chips wasn't enough to create a market for the damn things. However with the stranglehold they currently have on the laptop, desktop and server markets they could have kept this up almost indefinitely.

Then again the decision to kill the Broxton chips their successors could also have to do with the fact that the markets they're aimed at have actually begun to decline ever so slightly. Intel may be hedging their bets on the market heading for a collapse of sorts the same way the market for desktops and servers has been subject for a fairly big collapse when compared to a decade or so ago.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I worry for companies like ARM and Atmel, but at least this news helps ease the problem a little bit. ARM is really starting to make something of itself and I'm glad to see the progress they've made in the past 5 years, and I'm glad they're actually doing well enough to make Intel back off.
              I don't think you need to worry, considering that ARM shipments have been greater than x86 shipments since about 2002, so it's not something that happened just in the past 5 years. The only thing that changed recently was the press paying more attention to it.

Comment

I'm disappointed because Intel CPUs in tablets and non-battery-limited devices were generally fine.
                Without Intel trying to push their envelope, it puts less pressure on Arm and their licensees to innovate.
                We really do need Arm, AMD and Intel all sharing the market and competing.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

I don't think you need to worry, considering that ARM shipments have been greater than x86 shipments since about 2002, so it's not something that happened just in the past 5 years. The only thing that changed recently was the press paying more attention to it.
                  True, but during the earlier days, most of those numbers were in simpler devices where people had no idea the product had such a CPU in it. ARM hasn't really been suitable for modern user-end OSes until around 2009, and only within the past 2 years has it been good enough to act as a desktop OS. ARM for the longest time has been a relatively inferior architecture and wasn't that expensive. So, number of shipments isn't everything.

Comment

noooooooooooooooooo

i have a asus zenfone 2 with intel atom z3560 and its great
                    i was hoping to buy a zenfone 3/4 with broxton, i think this is really bad news
                    Last edited by davidbepo; 02 May 2016, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X