Benchmarking The Low-Cost PINE 64+ ARM Single Board Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    Michael, some of these low-cost, single board PCs could be great options for those who want a DIY router. Please consider comparing their Ethernet throughput in the future.
    If someone submits a good networking test case for Phoronix-Test-Suite/OpenBenchmarking.org, happy to run it. I'm not too much into networking myself, so unless someone submits a compatible test case or a company/individual/whatever sponsors the test development for adding something to PTS/OB.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

If someone submits a good networking test case for Phoronix-Test-Suite/OpenBenchmarking.org, happy to run it. I'm not too much into networking myself, so unless someone submits a compatible test case or a company/individual/whatever sponsors the test development for adding something to PTS/OB.
      iperf to a known fast host would be a good start. That should tell you the best speed someone speaking TCP could hope to get. I would suggest using the "-r" option and a large time value for the "-t" option--say two minutes. Here's some example output from an Odroid-C2 (as client) to an Intel based server that has no problem saturating a GigE connection:
      Code:
      odroid@odroid64:~$ iperf -c 192.168.0.5 -r -t 30
      ------------------------------------------------------------
      Server listening on TCP port 5001
      TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)
      Client connecting to 192.168.0.5, TCP port 5001
      TCP window size:  357 KByte (default)
      [  4] local 192.168.0.153 port 38860 connected with 192.168.0.5 port 5001
      [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
      [  4]  0.0-30.0 sec  3.28 GBytes   938 Mbits/sec
      [  5] local 192.168.0.153 port 5001 connected with 192.168.0.5 port 58408
      [  5]  0.0-30.0 sec  3.26 GBytes   932 Mbits/sec

Comment

The only problem (for me) with this board is the lack of Video Drivers.

Comment

Is it the lack of open source video drivers on Linux? Does the Remix OS and Android have good video drivers, just the fact of binary blobs? How does the Jide Remix mini compare?

Can you load Linux on the eMMC?

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
            Why can't we have a low-cost ARM board with an AMD GPU...
            I'm speculating, but the LeMaker Cello looks like it can accommodate a discrete graphics card.

Comment

After researching Remix OS and Android on Pine64 or Jide Remix mini (very similar hardware), it seems playing video does not work very good (stuttering and pauses) and the devices do not support 4k monitors. I guess the Linux support is the same. Another thing is the kernel is 3.10 on the pine64 and the kernel version on raspberry pi is 4.1.

Comment

If I were going low cost, I'd definitely go for the rp3 over this thing. The Mali graphics are just horrible. The Jetson TK1 fron two years ago and it still spanks all the latest arm boards, albeit at a much higher cost. If they would release a 4GB variant it would be awesome.

I got my TK1 boards 2 years ago, and am still amazed how well it works.

Comment

I have several Odroid-C2's and have been backporting upstream patches to their kernel. This is one of my odroid-c2's running your benchmark, it is on my kernel with the upstream patches. http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...KH-1603255GA49

Comment

Originally posted by GraceAsylum View Post
                    Another thing is the kernel is 3.10 on the pine64 and the kernel version on raspberry pi is 4.1.
                    rpi is supported in latest upstream kernel, 4.1 must be some shit from their own distro.

Comment

My odroidc2 running the same benchmark http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...KH-1603255GA49

Comment

Working...
                      X