For A Few Dollars More Than The Raspberry Pi 3 You Can Have A Much Faster Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kendji View Post

W00t, don't know where I read 100Mb eth port. However I'm still considering the XU4 for the USB3 support, USB3 could potentially handle another gig eth-usb port and I'm also thinking about USB2 potentially bottlenecking my 2 attatched 7200rpm HDDs.
    You are thinking correctly. USB2 will choke those drives quite effectively.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
      That's not true at all.
      Well I have one, running a TVHeadend server as I type this, and I assure you it is completely true.

As a matter of fact, the C1 and the C2 have vastly better video decode hardware than any of the Rpi boards. The C1 does H.264/H.265/VC1 decode at 1080p. The C2 adds HDMI 2 and a better video decode engine that will do 4K at 60 Hz. The C1 can encode H.264 at 1080p30 while the C2 can do 1080p60.
      I am unaware of any system demonstrating this. Are you perhaps referring to an Android OS?

Comment

Originally posted by Maury Markowitz View Post
        Well I have one, running a TVHeadend server as I type this, and I assure you it is completely true.

I am unaware of any system demonstrating this. Are you perhaps referring to an Android OS?
        I ran the Linux version of Kodi (OpenElec) on my C1 and played back 1080p H.265 files with full hardware decode.

Video encode is exposed through the nvenc library in ffmpeg.

Comment

I ran the Linux version of Kodi (OpenElec) on my C1 and played back 1080p H.265 files with full hardware decode.
          Because the code in question was hand-coded into Kodi. It uses the AmLogic VPU's NEON instructions. This code has not been ported to other programs, or especially the underlying libraries like libx264 or gstreamer.

Video encode is exposed through the nvenc library in ffmpeg.
          Perhaps you want to read up on what nvenc is. It is a library for special hardware included on Kepler-and-newer GPU cards, That hardware is not included on the Mali 450.

The only hardware on the C1 capable of doing hardware encode is the AmLogic VPU. In spite of much effort, no one has got this working. Using current ffmpeg with libx264 results in encode rates on the order of 10 FPS on my machine. But don't take my word for it:

When you get realtime straight-through h264 transcoding working on your C1+, let me know and I'll be happy to try it on mine. If you think I'm wrong, go to the Odroid forums and ask for yourself. Until then, please stop spreading inaccurate information.

Comment

Working...
          X