Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Raspberry Pi 3 Does Get Rather Warm Under Load

Phoronix: The Raspberry Pi 3 Does Get Rather Warm Under Load

In continuation of yesterday's Raspberry Pi 3 Benchmarks vs. Eight Other ARM Linux Boards, here are a few more details about the Raspberry Pi 3's thermal performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm that is pretty hot. I'm sure a small fanless heatsink would work fine though.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Hmm that is pretty hot. I'm sure a small fanless heatsink would work fine though.
      i would just limit maximum frequency slightly

Comment

We will sell Pi 3 with free heatsinks at the same price as the other sellers. The A53 is a lot more power hungry (30-40%) than the A7 and for whatever reason they didn't make it on 28nm.

Comment

Warm?! Come on, you can't keep your finger on IC heated to 60C, it very painful to touch, and at 80C you can get burns if you touch it. That's not too far from water boiling point, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveRPi View Post
            We will sell Pi 3 with free heatsinks at the same price as the other sellers. The A53 is a lot more power hungry (30-40%) than the A7 and for whatever reason they didn't make it on 28nm.
            I guess they also failed to implement reasonable power management aka DVFS thing, as usually? Do they support cpuidle, etc? 60C in idle is, uhm, a bit too much. Seems they are unable to downclock/downvolt when system being idle.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
              I guess they also failed to implement reasonable power management aka DVFS thing, as usually? Do they support cpuidle, etc? 60C in idle is, uhm, a bit too much. Seems they are unable to downclock/downvolt when system being idle.
              In our testing at 22C environment, the SoC hit 100C without the heatsink and then HDMI signal went to hell. With our heatsink set http://amzn.to/1Tqednr, it keeps a cozy 52C. It's absolutely insane how they thought it was a viable product without heatsinks.

Comment

Loverpi3's thermal stress test is here: https://www.loverpi.com/blogs/news/9...portant-notice

Comment

Working...
                X