X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• przemoli
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

You want to stick enough HBM onto that die to service both the video card and the rest of the system? Have you looked at the area the four dies on the Fury X occupy? And that's just 4GB RAM. For a usable enthusiast part you'd need something like 32GB between the GPU and the rest of the system. And that's ignoring the fact that HBM is high latency - high bandwidth, which is a good compromise for GPUs, but not so good for CPUs.
    32Gigs?

Crazy are You, not enthusiastic.

8GB RAM and 8GB GDDR5 is max what games need. You wont find any game that would take more.

32GB is for professionals who do HD editing of videos and photos.

But that 8+8 assume those are sepparate. Most of that space if for textures and the like that need to be prepared by CPU (thus DDR3) and then consummed by GPU (thus GDDR5)...

With APU both CPU and GPU can work from same copy, so 8GB of HBM2.0 would be enough for today games. Add 16GB if You have cash.

Leave a comment:

• drSeehas
    replied
    You want to stick enough HBM onto that die to service both the video card and the rest of the system?
    Yes, it is an APU and has HSA.

Have you looked at the area the four dies on the Fury X occupy? And that's just 4GB RAM.
    This is first generation HBM.

... enthusiast ...
    An enthusiast won't use an APU/compact pc.
    An enthusiast will use a dedicated GPU.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
    Why without RAM? There would be HBM.
    You want to stick enough HBM onto that die to service both the video card and the rest of the system? Have you looked at the area the four dies on the Fury X occupy? And that's just 4GB RAM. For a usable enthusiast part you'd need something like 32GB between the GPU and the rest of the system. And that's ignoring the fact that HBM is high latency - high bandwidth, which is a good compromise for GPUs, but not so good for CPUs.

Leave a comment:

• drSeehas
    replied
    ... And what use would you have for a computer without RAM?
    Why without RAM? There would be HBM.

Leave a comment:

• saski
    replied
    And again I miss some IDLE comsumption tests indicating how much the CPU/GPU drains when it has nothing to do - which would be most of the time! Any opinions on that?

Leave a comment:

• Michael_S
    replied

I'm not sure what you mean by that. In my mind an enthusiast is someone who has to have performance. And an integrated GPU just doesn't deliver on that front.
    I agree.

Hypothetically speaking, I imagine AMD might be able to engineer an APU that's an FX-8370 processor (their current flagship, not counting the factory overclocked FX-94xx chips) plus an integrated R9-380 GPU for some new socket. But then:
    - You can't upgrade the CPU independently of the GPU, and vice versa.
    - You have a motherboard with that socket type. So if you decide that you do prefer to upgrade CPU independently of GPU or GPU independently of CPU, you need to buy a new motherboard too.
    - AMD would have to hope lots of people buy this to cover their production costs.

It just doesn't make sense. The sweet spot for APUs is right where AMD is today - $150 and less.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by boffo View Post
    I'm still hoping AMD will respond with an enthusiast APU.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. In my mind an enthusiast is someone who has to have performance. And an integrated GPU just doesn't deliver on that front.

Originally posted by boffo View Post
    I'd love a fat APU with 14/16 nm fab processing + HBM and no additional ddr3/4 ram for a compact pc.
    And what use would you have for a computer without RAM?

Leave a comment:

• milkylainen
    replied
    Originally posted by utack View Post

Your country charges so much for power that you care about ~20% more energy efficiency in a _desktop_. Really?
    Personally I am fine with a i5-2500k that is a older fab tech, but with solder so it can be cooled to sane temperatures without a $150 water cooler.
    You can ask Michael what he thinks about runaway electrical bills and cooling etc.
    These desktop CPU's are indicative for their respective architectures. While you are right for a single CPU desktop, most of us who have real jobs deal with large quantities of servers, clusters etc. Compute/Power efficiency is damn near everything in the equation.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Is Mesa exposing the built against LLVM version somehow yet?
    Yoo have it in glxinfo with recent mesa.

Leave a comment:

• przemoli
    replied
    OK. Who have some RadeonSI hw and is brave enough to run:

Code:
    ldconfig -p | grep ll

Leave a comment:

Working...
X