X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M@yeulC
    replied
    Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

I trusted Google this time, I will be more careful when I reupload them.
    There you go :

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Damn, Intel still doesn't have any i7-6700K samples for Linux testing :/

Leave a comment:

• M@yeulC
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Of course it's a fail, you have used a French site

I trusted Google this time, I will be more careful when I reupload them.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by chuckula View Post

Right back at ya shill. So what that AMD finally claims to have gotten the first beta support for HSA running three years after they starting spouting about it. In the meantime, Intel has already gotten OpenMP (note the "open" and how that doesn't apple to HSA that only works with a small subset of AMD's own hardware) into GCC and how Intel has pushed OpenCL forward too.

Interesting how you obviously don't bother to read any of Phoronix's articles that contradict that patently stupid assertion, but you do seem to rabidly troll the comments sections to attack anyone who uses rational thought. I think the fact that Intel was recently listed as the #1 contributor to the Linux Kernel... not AMD there, Intel... is more than enough of a factual rebuttal to prove your silly little fantasy to be invalid.

Let me put it to you another way: There are literally zero AMD hardware devices in existence that could run linux if you stripped out the open source contributions that Intel has made to linux. OTOH, if you strip out the "contributions" that AMD has made, the only real damage would be that AMD's graphics hardware wouldn't work unless you install their proprietary driver. Meh.
    Shill huh? You should read your own words. The bias is dripping off of them.

I never said Intel didn't contribute good, in fact they do. Intel has proven to be a good OSS contributor. But on the other hand they pretty much always try to do it at the expense of everyone else. Their OpenCL implementation, their refusal to move on to Gallium, their Xeon Phi essentially being x86.

You clearly don't understand the intended nature of OSS. It damn sure is not to stand on your own. AMD's contributions have been implemented in a way that move forward the whole community, Intel's generally don't.

Leave a comment:

• chuckula
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

This has to be one of the dumbest posts I've read in a long time.
    Right back at ya shill. So what that AMD finally claims to have gotten the first beta support for HSA running three years after they starting spouting about it. In the meantime, Intel has already gotten OpenMP (note the "open" and how that doesn't apple to HSA that only works with a small subset of AMD's own hardware) into GCC and how Intel has pushed OpenCL forward too.

The real facts are that if you want the very best hardware support AMD is the very best choice.
    Interesting how you obviously don't bother to read any of Phoronix's articles that contradict that patently stupid assertion, but you do seem to rabidly troll the comments sections to attack anyone who uses rational thought. I think the fact that Intel was recently listed as the #1 contributor to the Linux Kernel... not AMD there, Intel... is more than enough of a factual rebuttal to prove your silly little fantasy to be invalid.

Let me put it to you another way: There are literally zero AMD hardware devices in existence that could run linux if you stripped out the open source contributions that Intel has made to linux. OTOH, if you strip out the "contributions" that AMD has made, the only real damage would be that AMD's graphics hardware wouldn't work unless you install their proprietary driver. Meh.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

There you go...
    It should be the same in firefox desktop, resized with ctrl+maj+M, IIRC.

Edit : since auto generated miniatures from the first hosting site I could find won't work, here are the links :

Edit 2 : It's a fail, it seems. I will upload these screenshots when I will have access to a desktop computer, approx 6 hours from now. Sorry about that.
    Of course it's a fail, you have used a French site

Leave a comment:

• M@yeulC
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Screenshots please.
    There you go...
    It should be the same in firefox desktop, resized with ctrl+maj+M, IIRC.

Edit : since auto generated miniatures from the first hosting site I could find won't work, here are the links :

Edit 2 : It's a fail, it seems. I will upload these screenshots when I will have access to a desktop computer, approx 6 hours from now. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by M@yeulC; 24 August 2015, 09:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by chuckula View Post

Oh, in that case you obviously think Zen is going to be a complete disaster since it won't clock particularly high (remember that 8370 is boosting to 4.3GHz) and if "hyperthreading is complete BS" then AMD was obviously foolish to copy it from Intel.

It's always fun when a resident AMD fanboy... which is a truly bizarre thing to be on a Linux website considering AMD's complete refusal to give Linux real support... insults AMD's future processor lineup before it even launches.
    This has to be one of the dumbest posts I've read in a long time. Must be nice to live ignorantly in your self made box huh? Complete refusal? Really? Are you seriously that biased that you would choose to ignore all the OSS work AMD contributes to the graphics stack? Or all the HSA work AMD contributes to the LLVM and GCC stacks? Or all of the device support AMD contributes to the linux kernel?

The real facts are that if you want the very best hardware support AMD is the very best choice.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by gens View Post

hyperthreading is complete BS
    Why would you say that? HT is like having an extra core without duplicating most of the silicon. It's an extra execution unit, but without an extra front-end for this new unit. Therefore, if two units are not saturating the front end trying to read from memory, they perfectly equivalent to having two fully fledged cores. AMD did something similar when they included just one FP execution unit for every two cores.
    The only problem with HT is that it actually hurts some applications and it can only be toggled in BIOS/UEFI. Since no one is going to reboot their system to reconfigure it prior to launching an application, enabling or disabling HT remains a matter of checking your applications and see how many of the ones you routinely use are actually hurt by enabling HT (I suspect in most cases the answer will be "not enough"). Or, you could just disable HT and enable it when you know you're going to do photo/video editing or 3D modelling. Because other tasks simply won't be parallelizable enough.

Leave a comment:

• chuckula
    replied
    Originally posted by gens View Post

3.9GHz is relatively high and hyperthreading is complete BS

Oh, in that case you obviously think Zen is going to be a complete disaster since it won't clock particularly high (remember that 8370 is boosting to 4.3GHz) and if "hyperthreading is complete BS" then AMD was obviously foolish to copy it from Intel.

It's always fun when a resident AMD fanboy... which is a truly bizarre thing to be on a Linux website considering AMD's complete refusal to give Linux real support... insults AMD's future processor lineup before it even launches.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X