Intel Core i5 6600K Skylake Linux CPU Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Did you not look at the review? There are APU benchmarks in there.
    Where? They are all CPU benchmaks (no OpenGL/OpenCL). I guess it's what he is looking for: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...l-hd-530&num=1

Comment

Ericg ....well, whatever streaming software you're using really should be using the video encoder present in your APU or discrete GPU. For which open source support has been present for a few months now (leaving out Intel's VAAPI which has been available for years).

Comment

in single core FX 8370 vs A10-7870K = pretty much the same

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
          Ericg ....well, whatever streaming software you're using really should be using the video encoder present in your APU or discrete GPU. For which open source support has been present for a few months now (leaving out Intel's VAAPI which has been available for years).
          A lot of streaming software doesnt use the GPU because the fixed function hardware creates worse images than just doing x264 on the CPU. When I DO use the GPU it works fine... under Windows. But on Linux the only option is x264 on the CPU.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Considering the 6600K has a relatively low clockspeed (3.9GHz turbo) and doesn't have hyperthreading turned on, those are some pretty impressive numbers!
            It goes to show that having the right kind of software + the ability to recompile using a modern compiler can take a chip that many people don't think is very good and really make it shine. The days of huge performance leaps for obsolete single-threaded software are unfortunately over.

The 6700K with higher clocks and hyperthreading should be quite impressive. Additionally, next year Intel should get out a version that includes the L4 cache and that will definitely help in more data intensive workloads.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
              Considering the 6600K has a relatively low clockspeed (3.9GHz turbo) and doesn't have hyperthreading turned on, those are some pretty impressive numbers!
              It goes to show that having the right kind of software + the ability to recompile using a modern compiler can take a chip that many people don't think is very good and really make it shine. The days of huge performance leaps for obsolete single-threaded software are unfortunately over.

The 6700K with higher clocks and hyperthreading should be quite impressive. Additionally, next year Intel should get out a version that includes the L4 cache and that will definitely help in more data intensive workloads.
              3.9GHz is relatively high and hyperthreading is complete BS

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

A lot of streaming software doesnt use the GPU because the fixed function hardware creates worse images than just doing x264 on the CPU. When I DO use the GPU it works fine... under Windows. But on Linux the only option is x264 on the CPU.
                Steam's in-home streaming works fine for me on Linux (oss radeon)--are you using a different program for streaming?

Comment

OBS uses x264 on the CPU unless you tell it to use something else, but nothing else is available yet on Linux
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                    Michael, you asked me last time to provide you with an example of images not resizing properly. This is the case for these results, at least on firefox mobile. This isn't an issue with chrome, nor dolphin (but the latter has always been very liberal with page layout).
                    I have the same issue with Firefox Mobile.

Comment

No shitty remarks about intel graphics and processor? Are you losing touch Michael?

Comment

Working...
                      X