No announcement yet.

Early Intel Skylake Linux Users May Run Into A Silly Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking at getting a Skylake i5-6500 (should be released soon) together with the NVidia GTX 950 running Mint 17.2 Cinnamon. Reading this thread I'm a bit concerned about proceeding. I'm switching to Linux from Mac (I like Macs, just fancy a change) and have been using Mint on Virtualbox. If I get this setup the thought of kernel errors and a system that might be unusable is a bit worrying. Can anyone either reassure me or suggest that I hold off? Thanks in advance

Comment

The problems are plasma5 related

cinnamon, unity and gnome were fine at my tests
      but don't forget about
      i915.preliminary_hw_support=1

Comment

Originally posted by Tom50 View Post
        I'm looking at getting a Skylake i5-6500 (should be released soon) together with the NVidia GTX 950 running Mint 17.2 Cinnamon. Reading this thread I'm a bit concerned about proceeding. I'm switching to Linux from Mac (I like Macs, just fancy a change) and have been using Mint on Virtualbox. If I get this setup the thought of kernel errors and a system that might be unusable is a bit worrying. Can anyone either reassure me or suggest that I hold off? Thanks in advance
        If you read some articles here, skylake will run on debian unix based well. But kernel 4.3 will make them more smooth

Comment

Originally posted by kaemale View Post
          If you read some articles here, skylake will run on debian unix based well. But kernel 4.3 will make them more smooth
          Thanks for the advice (and also to colla). Sounds like I should be fairly safe going ahead with the Mint Cinnamon Skylake system and hopefully as the software moves on it should keep getting better. I certainly need it - when I type on my current machine I just sit and watch the characters appear in front of me seconds after- hyper frustrating

Comment

Originally posted by nilssab View Post
            In the previous article you posted it looked like an MSI gaming M5 or M7 motherboard, if so, I take it the killer NIC is actually playing nice?
            The Killer E2400 is working with the following Kernel Patch. I tested the patch on 4.2 with the M7 and works great.

Comment

I found a guide at https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/...arameter-edit/ , if the i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 is put in via the GNU Grub menu and then changed permanently in the terminal for future boots - presumably this should enable the inbuilt intel graphics in Skylake? Sorry for the newbie question - I'm just conscious that the standard distros today don't seem to have out of the box Skylake perfection as yet and for those switching to Linux (such as me) it sometimes takes a bit of time working out what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom50 View Post
                I found a guide at https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/...arameter-edit/ , if the i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 is put in via the GNU Grub menu and then changed permanently in the terminal for future boots - presumably this should enable the inbuilt intel graphics in Skylake? Sorry for the newbie question - I'm just conscious that the standard distros today don't seem to have out of the box Skylake perfection as yet and for those switching to Linux (such as me) it sometimes takes a bit of time working out what to do.
                Well I tried to add the parameter to my GRUB so that my kernel would load with that extra parameter but that didn't seem to do the trick..

from my /etc/default/grub:
                GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.preliminary_hw_support=1"

and from /boot/grub/grub.cfg
                linux /vmlinuz-3.16.0-53-generic.efi.signed root=/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root ro quiet splash i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 $vt_handoff

any clues?.

I also don't seem to have sound..

Comment

I found the sound issue was fixed with an external USB soundcard (I used a Sabrent one). However when I switched to Kernel 4.2 in ubuntu the sound worked natively and I didn't need the USB soundcard anymore. My HD530 graphics have never worked, however I have an Nvidia 950 gtx which works fine so I'm not overly bothered. If I didn't have that card and relied upon integrated graphics I would upgrade the kernel to 4.3 so that Skylake graphics are enabled by default.

Comment

Resolved the problem by installing the harwdware stack. One can follow the directions at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
                    Trusty

The 14.04.2 and newer point release will ship with an updated kernel and X stack by default. If you have installed with older media you can use the following to install the newer kernel from 15.04 (Vivid):

Desktop

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-core-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-vivid libwayland-egl1-mesa-lts-vivid

Multiarch Desktop

If you run a multiarch desktop (for example, i386 and amd64 on amd64, for gaming or Wine), you may find you need a slightly more involved command, like this:
                    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-core-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-vivid libwayland-egl1-mesa-lts-vivid libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-vivid libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-vivid:i386 libglapi-mesa-lts-vivid:i386

Server

You can install either a kernel from 15.04 (vivid):
                    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-vivid
                    Or you can install a kernel from 15.10 (wily):
                    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-wily

Last edited by gunfus; 22 November 2015, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Hi guys, I have been troubled by the similar black screen boot and wifi not working and have after three days wrote this ultimate manual to DELL XPS13 Ubutu boot:
                      If you have the latest Dell XPS13 Touch (9350) with Skylake and Intel Graphics i915 running Ubuntu 15.10 (or any other version such as 15.04 or 16.04),

Comment

Working...
                      X