AMD Had Another Tough Quarter; It's Still Hard Finding A Radeon R9 Fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Had Another Tough Quarter; It's Still Hard Finding A Radeon R9 Fury

Phoronix: AMD Had Another Tough Quarter; It's Still Hard Finding A Radeon R9 Fury

AMD reported their 2015 second quarter results yesterday. As expected, they didn't look good...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We should do a crowdfunding and fund AMD or buy shares

Comment

Does buying their cards help? I think a lot of us are waiting for cards that are coming out next year. I want new hardware and their new drivers.

Comment

Yep, me too. I decided to wait for Zen. By then the new amdgpu kernel driver and a catalyst with that support will bhe mature. I'll by whatever the best discreet care at that time is.

Comment

Originally posted by DIRT View Post
          Does buying their cards help? I think a lot of us are waiting for cards that are coming out next year. I want new hardware and their new drivers.
          I just had this thought because I saw on IndieGoGo crowdfunding to save Greece.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            Yep, me too. I decided to wait for Zen. By then the new amdgpu kernel driver and a catalyst with that support will bhe mature. I'll by whatever the best discreet care at that time is.
            Oh... so you are waiting Pascal too?

Comment

Makes me wish I had the cash to spare to upgrade to a new CPU or APU right now. (My only discretionary funds for upgrades were recently consumed when my nVidia GT430 died and I picked up an nVidia GTX750.)

Now would also be a good time because you can still find a lot of non-obsolete SKUs that aren't on the list you get if you contact them asking which SKUs have TrustZone. (Which I don't want for the same reasons I don't want Intel AMT. It's closed, exploitable technology running at a higher privilege level than the main CPU cores. I forget the link, but an Intel Management Engine rootkit was demonstrated as a proof of concept a few years ago and BIOS bugs can leave it vulnerable even when it's supposed to be turned off.)

Comment

AMD always suffers from Osborne Effect, "our next release will be awesome, don't buy anything right now"

Comment

You don't kickstart a publicly traded company. Just buy shares if you want to support them, that is what investing is. You just get the added benefit of dividends and / or appreciating value on the shares if the company is successful.

Comment

I have been saying AMD should crowd fund their linux drivers to make them better for years...

Honestly though I don't get the point of these articles. Intel's 14NM yields are losing them money, Microsoft lost billions, Samsung billions, Windows 10 is a trap where you can only downgrade for 1 month then you have to repurchase your old OS. Instead Michael posts articles about AMD having a rough quarter when it SAID it was going to.

I am a fan of AMD, super powerful chips (that no one uses the features on making them pointless over engineered under performing CPUS), The most powerful graphics cards (That no one uses the compute part making them sub par DX11 performing GPU's, even tho they perform well enough), they peek into the future and give us the technology we will later need... it's sad that the industry is so hell bent on never using such features but I don't blame them.

I have bought several APU's for peoples rigs the last few years and they all perform VERY well, the sad part is if i asked any of those people what processor I put in there they wouldn't have a clue. Intel dominates through shady deals and practices and yet Michael damn near jizzed himself over a (I must say great) apu performance in their processors that use the L4$. I will just never get people.

Comment

Working...
                    X