XWayland Hit By Its First Security Advisory: Missing Authentication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland Hit By Its First Security Advisory: Missing Authentication

Phoronix: XWayland Hit By Its First Security Advisory: Missing Authentication

(X)Wayland has its first security notice today thanks to a discovery made by a Red Hat developer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can anyone explain me what a UNIX socket is? I know TCP sockets, but what's a UNIX socket?

Comment

unix socket is like a tcp socket but instead of ip aadress and a port number you have a file path

Comment

TCP socket and UNIX socket are the same thing. The first one is accessed on the basis of the pair <ip-address> and <port>; this means that it is accessible also from another machine (connected by a tcp/ip network). The unix socket is accessed by a filesystem path. When a UNIX socket is created, a coupled special file is created too; an application may accesses the socket if it can access the file: the accessing may filtered by the unix file permission.

As example, the X server when starts, creates a UNIX socket:

ls -l /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
        srwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jun 10 18:22 /tmp/.X11-unix/X0

The X client contact the server opening this socket. If an user cannot access the /tmp/.X11-unix/ directory, he cannot access the X server too.

The X server, may open also a TCP socket, so an application from another machine can access the X server. This is useful if you want to run an application on another machine, and you need to interact with a graphical window.

Comment

Originally posted by ReBoot View Post
          Can anyone explain me what a UNIX socket is? I know TCP sockets, but what's a UNIX socket?

just one of many (older) methods of IPC on Unix (or Linux). 'man mknod' and 'man mkfifo' should give you a better idea. start from there.

Comment

It's kind of hard to believe that this was 'forgotten'.

How is it possible that they never took *basic* (DAC security) security measures against this?

Comment

Working...
            X