Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chromebooks Powered By The MIPS Pistachio, Linux Support Evolving

Phoronix: Chromebooks Powered By The MIPS Pistachio, Linux Support Evolving

While Google Chromebooks up to this point have tended to be ARM-based along with some using low-power Atom x86 SoCs, it appears Imagination Technologies is working towards some MIPS design wins for these Internet-focused devices. Imagination has been working on MIPS improvements within Coreboot as a ChromeOS partner...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Two questions:

Is it 64-bit?

Does it have free graphics driver?

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
      Two questions:

Is it 64-bit?

According to this : http://www.imgtec.com/mips/aptiv/interaptiv.asp it's just a 32bit SOC which is well ... not that great and being only a dual core you have to wonder how it will perform but I guess we'll see.

As for the graphics part of it I've told the Img folks they should do something about that if they really want more market share and to be better viewed among the community so we'll see how that goes. As usual the problem is management

Comment

I'll never buy any product containing a PowerVR GPU and I suggest every Linux user avoid them like the plague. One can only hope that there will be a proper free graphics driver so we can reconsider. But until then it's a no-go. It's a pity that Imagination controls MIPS and we are unlikely to see a MIPS core married to a decent non-PowerVR GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
          I'll never buy any product containing a PowerVR GPU and I suggest every Linux user avoid them like the plague. One can only hope that there will be a proper free graphics driver so we can reconsider. But until then it's a no-go. It's a pity that Imagination controls MIPS and we are unlikely to see a MIPS core married to a decent non-PowerVR GPU.
          Well it's not like ARM is any better with their Mali, still closed source , no difference to PowerVR. There was some work on LIMA but it seems that's not going anywhere so yeah, at least Intel is playing nice with open source and they're certainly selling Atoms cheap these days.

Comment

Except that Intel launched Atom X3 with Mali graphics...

Comment

As they did older Atoms with PowerVR graphics but they're moving to their own graphics across the board so in 2016-2017 we should probably see only Intel graphics in all Atoms ( including those designed for mobile phones ).

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
                The pin control driver doesn't seem to mention any graphics related pins:

so maybe the question isn't applicable.

Comment

Given ASUS are about to release a quad-core ARM A17 based Chromebook, a dual-core MIPS Chromebook is looking decidedly wimpy, unless it's per-core performance is significantly higher.

And, of course, it won't be long until the ARM A57 based Chromebooks appear on the market, with 64-bit support. 64-bit support was supposed to be one of MIPS advantages, but ARM has simply soldiered on and got there whilst MIPS hasn't done anything.

Comment

Well, MIPS claims their best Warrior core matches Sandy clock-for-clock.

Comment

Working...
                    X