Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Wish I could comment on this
    Sure there are many mistakes on my post.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      We've been discussing this internally for a while so will try to get your concerns raised. Probably won't be able to communicate back at this point though. So far we have implemented management functions via DASH-compatible NICs rather than building all the management bits into the CPU itself -- means we have a bit less functionality but it also means fewer scary things under the bed as well.

Most effective contact path would probably be through your server/mobo vendor of choice. Most of the freedom-related problems we have as an industry come from the fact that HW vendors get a clear "more security please" message from most of their customers, while the customers who do want a different freedom-vs-security tradeoff tend to beat on the silicon vendors rather than the system/mobo vendors. That doesn't work, obviously.

Even if you do succeed in getting a message through to silicon vendor marketing the first thing they'll have to do is go and check with the major system vendors, ie the ones who buy the chips from us. If we get a blank look from the system vendors then your message dies on the spot.

For what it's worth, my understanding is that PSP is a lot closer to a TPM than to IME in terms of functionality. It's main role is to provide a safe place where information can be validated and protected, rather than being something that reaches out and pulls strings in the rest of the system.
      Just though I'd check in and see if these concerns made any difference with respect to AMD's design? We are currently in the middle of switching some systems over to OpenPOWER due to the aforementioned rootkit concerns, but would be willing to take another look at AMD if the security concerns can be handled in a reasonable manner.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X