No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi 2 Linux Benchmarks: Arch, Raspbian & Overclocking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the step from arm v6 to v7 is pretty huge. Maybe we get arm v8 (64 bit) with next gen pi 3. would be usefull with 4 GB ram, but the price needs to drop first i guess. The first pi was defintely too slow as desktop, even for kids. Could not test the pi 2 yet but maybe it can be used for webbrowsing with 1 vor 2 tabs.

Comment

ARM v8 64bit pi3, gigabit LAN and 4GB RAM would be nice. Maybe they can get a special price and offer it sometime in 2016. Luckily the alternatives force them to release better versions faster as happened with pi2.
      "maybe it can be used for webbrowsing" According to vids on YT/tests pi2 is much better for browsing.

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
        So, they weren't lying when they said "x6 performance".
        Technically not lying IF they included the words "UP TO" just before it. Problem is that different loads will be impacted in different ways, so you really can't go on anything listed as "up to". To me, it looks like a REAL improvement of **UNDER 2x**. Frankly, rpi was underwhelming, and with the time that has passed, even a linear improvement with the state of technology would have yielded something significantly better than rpi2. I'm simply not going to waste my time with this junk. If I need mobile computing power, I'd much rather pay a few bucks more and get something that can actually *do something*. If I need to do automation or robotics, there is always arduino and clones.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          Technically not lying IF they included the words "UP TO" just before it. Problem is that different loads will be impacted in different ways, so you really can't go on anything listed as "up to". To me, it looks like a REAL improvement of **UNDER 2x**. Frankly, rpi was underwhelming, and with the time that has passed, even a linear improvement with the state of technology would have yielded something significantly better than rpi2. I'm simply not going to waste my time with this junk. If I need mobile computing power, I'd much rather pay a few bucks more and get something that can actually *do something*. If I need to do automation or robotics, there is always arduino and clones.
          So we can't take the upper bound and call it accurate, but we *can* take the lower bound and call it accurate? Hardly seems fair. It would seem to be more accurate to say that single-threaded, mostly-scaler code sees performance improvements of around 2x, and well-threaded and/or SIMD-heavy code sees performance improvements of about 5-6x. ~2x improvement seems to be *worst-case-scenario* which ain't bad for free, especially when they threw in buy-one-get-one-free on the RAM too.

Admitedly, though, the original Pi's CPU is anemic, especially considering the relatively monstrous GPU. The chip that powers the Pi was designed as a solution for higher-end digital signage and media players; it wasn't meant to be an applications processor. The GPU was always the star, the CPU was almost an afterthought, for its intended purpose the CPU is basically a glorified traffic director. Heck, the GPU actually boots *first* and then proceeds to bring up the CPU, though this also has something to do with the fact that ARM CPUs are a little weird to bring up from zilch.

Comment

And for some comparison an x86 Intel tablet http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...KH-1502103KW42 with Intel Atom Z3735F. Sadly the display doesn't work (only HDMI) as well as WiFi. Tests were done from Xubuntu booted from a USB stick (with the help of Rufus).

Comment

Working...
            X