Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Raspberry Pi 2 Makes A Big Difference Even For Web Browsing

Phoronix: The Raspberry Pi 2 Makes A Big Difference Even For Web Browsing

The just-announced Raspberry Pi 2 is said to be six times faster than the original Raspberry Pi thanks to finally moving over to ARMv7 and going with a quad-core SoC design. While the RPi2 doesn't compete with the higher-end ARM SBCs that cost more and perform dramatically better, the Raspberry Pi 2 speed improvement is very noticeable even for tasks like web browsing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: The Raspberry Pi 2 Makes A Big Difference Even For Web Browsing

The just-announced Raspberry Pi 2 is said to be six times faster than the original Raspberry Pi thanks to finally moving over to ARMv7 and going with a quad-core SoC design. While the RPi2 doesn't compete with the higher-end ARM SBCs that cost more and perform dramatically better, the Raspberry Pi 2 speed improvement is very noticeable even for tasks like web browsing...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Pi-2-Web-Speed
    Phoronix should cover more arm/SBC devices and widen their scope. I mean I bought a raspberry pi to build a very basic torrent machine but I ran into a lot of issues with it. sdcard corruption/ usb current set very low (this breaks devices specially wifi adapters), ethernet very unstable even for 100MBps. If Phoronix reviews/compares such products out there and gives us a picture as to how stable such devices are whether they support 2D/3D acceleration natively on Linux or not. We have a couple of boards out there Odroid C1, variants of cubieboards etc. A few pages of review much like gsmarena does for new smartphones covering aspects like device stability, limitations , performance etc. would give the reader a general idea of the product. Just a thought.

Comment

And do not forget to behcnmark network speed and storages. That's where previous Pis sucked especially hard.

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
        Phoronix should cover more arm/SBC devices and widen their scope. I mean I bought a raspberry pi to build a very basic torrent machine but I ran into a lot of issues with it. sdcard corruption/ usb current set very low (this breaks devices specially wifi adapters), ethernet very unstable even for 100MBps. If Phoronix reviews/compares such products out there and gives us a picture as to how stable such devices are whether they support 2D/3D acceleration natively on Linux or not. We have a couple of boards out there Odroid C1, variants of cubieboards etc. A few pages of review much like gsmarena does for new smartphones covering aspects like device stability, limitations , performance etc. would give the reader a general idea of the product. Just a thought.
        Unfortunately I'm already stretched thin for time and resources, thus generally just look at the most interesting boards out there.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

What about RPI2 vs Ordroid C1?

Comment

Of course. You get WebKit's ARMv7 JIT-backend instead of the shitty unmaintaiend ARMv5 based backend.

Comment

I'd be more interessted in Kodi's performance rather than browsing (is anybody out there using raspi for browsing? )

Comment

If you will get one of these, please, PLEASE test the open source VC4 driver...

Comment

Tu have rpi and quad core A7, it's big difference.
                  You have by core:
                  • Better speed (frequency)
                  • Neon for SIMD for large performance improvements, and greate compiler/software usage of NEON
                  • Silicon improvements, and power managements

On my benchmark, it's 4x more performance by core. Like SSE, SSE2, AVX2 on x86, the multimedia benchmark is better with NEON, but like every thing (web browser, video, game, ...).
                  And over this all, have quad core...
                  Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

Originally posted by alpha_one_x86 View Post
                    Tu have rpi and quad core A7, it's big difference.
                    You have by core:
                    • Better speed (frequency)
                    • Neon for SIMD for large performance improvements, and greate compiler/software usage of NEON
                    • Silicon improvements, and power managements

On my benchmark, it's 4x more performance by core. Like SSE, SSE2, AVX2 on x86, the multimedia benchmark is better with NEON, but like every thing (web browser, video, game, ...).
                    And over this all, have quad core...
                    And the base clock is 900MHz instead of 700.
                    I wonder how well Lubuntu runs on it, since it's now an ARMv7 and Ubuntu supports ARMv7. I'm not not interested in the unproductive Kodi entertainment bulls**t time waste. To bad it hasn't 1Gib/s LAN. I'm interested in the CPU speed benchmarks since the GPU is the same (maybe the more RAM and faster CPU helps the GPU, that may be tested). Also, wonder if this is faster than Banana Pi if using all cores of both. Per core the Banana Pi is faster I think, but it's only a dual core (Banana Pi M2 -- quad core -- is coming). Banana Pi's GPU is better however.

the Raspberry Pi 2 speed improvement is very noticeable even for tasks like web browsing
                    This always annoyed me with RPi, but not only me.
                    Last edited by opensource; 02 February 2015, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X