Ubuntu 15.04 Is The Easy Path To Better Performance On Intel Broadwell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 15.04 Is The Easy Path To Better Performance On Intel Broadwell

Phoronix: Ubuntu 15.04 Is The Easy Path To Better Performance On Intel Broadwell

Unless you manually upgrade your kernel and other system packages from your Ubuntu 14.10 installation, Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet is an important release for users of new Intel Broadwell systems for ensuring your hardware reaches its maximum performance potential.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As Debian is in freeze state the only difference is the kernel (Ubuntu mainly follows Sid). You could use a Kanotix Spitfire nightly with the same or newer kernel and get the same performance out of the box - or just replace the kernel of 14.10.

Comment

Mesa 10.4.x landed in Ubuntu 15.04 yesterday. Michael, maybe you want to test again against newer Mesa?

Comment

Or just use Arch-based distros.

Comment

or just replace the kernel of 14.10
          This is very inconvenient because 15.04 will have many software updates and when replacing kernel various problem can occur and the support isn't there too.

Or just use Arch-based distros
          I find Arch theoretically better, if it only weren't so DIY everything and time consuming.

Comment

Or just use Arch-based distros
            Sigh......

Comment

@opensource

If a kernel breaks more than binary drivers which does not matter for Intel it is a regression. The last regression i found with old nouveau userspace was fixed mainline with 3.18.3.

Comment

Fedora 21 has already rolled out kernel 3.18 (3.18.3-201.fc21.x86_64) and has mesa 10.3.

Comment

Originally posted by opensource View Post
                  This is very inconvenient because 15.04 will have many software updates and when replacing kernel various problem can occur and the support isn't there too.

I find Arch theoretically better, if it only weren't so DIY everything and time consuming.
                  Arch proper might be that way to some extent, at least for initial installation. I think an optional set-up helper exists.

However, Arch-based distros, such as Archbang and Antergos come with full installers. You can also find GUI front-ends to pacman if you don't like always grabbing packages from the command-line. Sure, Arch distros don't have a GUI utility quite as fancy as SUSE's YaST but the basic GUI config tools included with popular desktop environments are there and others can be downloaded too.

Comment

Stock Fedora 21 on my Dell laptop with Intel graphics is currently running kernel version 3.18.3, and Mesa version 10.4.2. Seems a little odd that Ubuntu 14.10 would be running very far behind.

Comment

Working...
                    X