Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridgman
    replied
    I imagine most or all of the RS780 motherboards will be AM2+, but I don't know of any AM2+ mobos available today with integrated graphics.

Leave a comment:

• rkleemann
    replied
    Anyone know if there are any AM2+ motherboards with built-in video?

I dont really need fancy video on a linux server and using a card wastes space on a rackmount.

Leave a comment:

• rkleemann
    replied
    So... anyone know when it will be possible to get some linux benchmarking comparisons with other quad-core processors? ;-)

Leave a comment:

• lxndr
    replied
    Looks like most of the Phenom problems have been overstated then, I was thinking of buying one when I came across the Phoronix article. Anyone experiencing the 'psychedelic-colours' bug in Ubuntu (see article)?

Leave a comment:

• Thetargos
    replied
    Actually, you did. So it seems to be time for getting back go the 'MP' jargon (multiprocessor)

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Yeah, SMP isn't really a good term to use these days, is it. Any dual core or quad core chip is already doing SMP -- we need a new TLA for "more than one CPU socket on a board".

Looks like on amd.com we just call multiple-socket systems "2P" or "4P", and talk about "SMP up to 2 sockets/8 cores" :

http://http://www.amd.com/us-en/asse...Comparison.pdf

Also appears that "Barcelona" was the development code name for what is now called "Quad Core Opteron", while "Agena" was the code name for what is now called "Phenom".

I don't feel like I cleared things up very much
    Last edited by bridgman; 01-11-2008, 11:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rkleemann
    replied
    Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
    Are we talking SMP = Symmetric Multi Processing here, or something else? If yes, how come AM2 CPUs don't support it, when they're dual core? Or did I miss something?
    I believe he meant SMP support on the motherboard, so you could put dual processors, and 8 cores

Leave a comment:

• Thetargos
    replied
    Are we talking SMP = Symmetric Multi Processing here, or something else? If yes, how come AM2 CPUs don't support it, when they're dual core? Or did I miss something?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    I think (but I'm not 100% sure) that Phenom numbers should be faster if anything.

From what I remember the smaller AM2-type packages don't include SMP support but the PhenomFX and Barcelone packages have more pins (1200+ IIRC) and presumably can include whatever is needed to support multiple CPUs on a board (ie 8+ cores).

Take all this with a grain of salt, of course -- I'm a graphics guy

Leave a comment:

• rkleemann
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Phenom is the desktop variant, Barcelona is the server variant. The differences seem to be in HyperTransport level, SMP support, and apparently some differences in the cache controller.
    so i would imagine then that the Phenom numbers would certainly not be as good...? What sort of SMP support differences would there be?

I'd like to see a comparison to the Q6600, as well as with the server versions (Xeon 53xx).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X