Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Uh, there's already CoreOS...
    Yeah if you haven't noticed it's quite common to see several options in Linux, DEs for example. Ubuntu by a long shot is the choice for running OpenStack on top of, it's also a very popular choice to base Docker images on. I don't think this stuff is as useful for someone who's only got a single system and user.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      We already have OpenStack, Xen, KVM, QEMU, VirtualBox, and Docker.

Is this another NIH?
      It interacts with OpenStack and Docker, not competing with those it's for the cloud. It's not like VirtualBox, it manages Docker containers. You can virtualize in a modular way, say MongoDB. The storage could be persistent and connect to your file system on the OS or all the data could be lost when the Docker instance is ended. You can also connect other Docker containers together, to deploy a web app say. It's isolated from the OS it sits on top of, easy to install/update compared to doing a native install. Very much like running a full virtualized image but like I said it doesn't need to be a full blown OS. You can take these Docker containers and distribute them to other systems in the business such as QA without having to worry about their system being configured differently and causing headaches to deal with individual setups, automation and testing is simplified.

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Uh, there's already CoreOS...
      Yeah if you haven't noticed it's quite common to see several options in Linux, DEs for example. Ubuntu by a long shot is the choice for running OpenStack on top of, it's also a very popular choice to base Docker images on. I don't think this stuff is as useful for someone who's only got a single system and user.

Comment

Originally posted by CoderniX View Post
        This is ain't for amateur Linux enthusiasts and gamers. This is for the cloud guys.

I used to get headaches for doing the stuffs manually at my ex-job, and I was asked to used CentOS instead of Ubuntu, and cPanel and other stuffs were the de facto tools to be used.

If you wanna get an idea what they're doing, check out how DigitalOcean creates VPSes on the fly and you get the idea. It's about using similar solutions like Xen, Hyper-V and co, yet automatizing the whole process and making it peaceful and headache-free, let alone providing a WebGUI as they used to do for similar products from Canonical, making it easy with the clicks of the mouse.

It's aimed for the enterprise, and if you ain't in that sort of job, then plz don't comment some silly gibberish or at least get educated first.

Let's give credit when and where it's due.
        Lol, I was thinking the same thing only a little less harsh

Comment

Ah, Ubuntu again trying to weasel their way into Enterprise servers.

They should just give up on that and concentrate on trying to be a Desktop alternative to Windows users that don't want to dig too deep into their system, and well phones if that is your thing.

Enterprise is pretty much going to stick to RHEL/CentOS.

Personally, I stick with Debian. I can make it do pretty much anything, and still even with 'Testing' it's more stable than Ubuntu's releases.

This seems to be more of a "Me too!" more than anything.

If I seem bitter, it's because my current position consists of some engineers who were 'Ubuntu fans' and managed to get it onto our KVM hosts, much to the anger of the people who have to actually manage them. There was a fun bug within libvirt that caused networking for the guests to randomly drop network, only coming back up after a shut down. Also there is the support from Hardware Vendors. Where if they do support Ubuntu (of course Debian is sadly this way too) then it's sort of half-assed and in complete, whereas most all of them will support at least Red Hat, and most SuSE.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
            Ah, Ubuntu again trying to weasel their way into Enterprise servers.

They should just give up on that and concentrate on trying to be a Desktop alternative to Windows users that don't want to dig too deep into their system, and well phones if that is your thing.

Enterprise is pretty much going to stick to RHEL/CentOS.
            Good idea! Leave redhat (and suse) alone making money with enterprise solutions while canonical gets hated trying to pay the bills with their desktop. /irony

Exact that issue is, imho, a big reason behind a lot of Drama in the Linux scene recently. There have been made decisions on all sides trying to become/stay a big player in that marked and to have influence there. Its not that time anymore when people made Software just for fun and interests.

_______

I know ubuntu-touch used lxc for running binary drivers. But the focus of lxd seems to be the openstack part: https://lists.linuxcontainers.org/pi...er/010817.html

Comment

Another shitty project for the hobbyists from Canonical/Ubuntu to work on, instead of focussing on the largest percent of their user group. Already a very large percentage didn't upgrade to the latest Ubuntu version because they were too focussed on a mobile version that no one will use.

Comment

They might if the largest percent of their user group was contributing the largest percent of their revenue.

Comment

As far as I'm aware Canonicals main source of money is their CEO, followed by 'services' and contributions. If they can provide a product that does not breach my privacy, stays up to date, stops randomly forking different projects every few months, works toward free and transparent software, has a polished and fluid interface, I'm willing to pay them 15eur per six months indefinitely. As it stands now though, it's nothing more than a hobbyist club that wants to make money, but doesn't really know how.

Comment

Originally posted by MiUNX View Post
                    As far as I'm aware Canonicals main source of money is their CEO, followed by 'services' and contributions. If they can provide a product that does not breach my privacy, stays up to date, stops randomly forking different projects every few months, works toward free and transparent software, has a polished and fluid interface, I'm willing to pay them 15eur per six months indefinitely. As it stands now though, it's nothing more than a hobbyist club that wants to make money, but doesn't really know how.
                    If that's what you're looking for, why not use Debian? Just stick with Testing, updated it once in a while and be good to go. That's what I do for my desktops, then I stick with Debian Stable for my servers.

Actually CentOS7 has been pretty rock solid for a workstation as well, though it has a bit older version of Gnome, and other packages.

A note though, if you use Debian Testing, I'd keep the repositories at their code name (instead of using 'testing') due to when testing becomes stable and the huge influx of changes that then happen to testing, it tends to break a bit. Otherwise, you won't really ever have to re-install again, and the initial setup isn't really all that much different than Ubuntu is.

Comment

I have already written my reply about the software concerned here, and why people are just spitting their hate, instead of a concrete and constructive criticism.

On the other hand people writing about Canonical trying to make it through to the Enterprise, then either they're dreaming, or they're bluntly lying to themselves and they want us to believe their fantasies.

Ubuntu is being used by Google alongside OSX. Facebook is running on top of Ubuntu. Amazon uses Ubuntu widely as well. Oh, and Oracle is Partnering with Canonical to provide support for each other's OpenStack's Guest OSes.

Canonical makes their money mainly from their Server's edition, yet people claim they're trying to get into the Enterprise, irony in person!

Comment

Working...
                      X