Intel's Core i7 5960X Is Fast & Wonderful Under Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Yeah I saw that after it failed with just the build-deps... It's running now and almost through its third run; results up soon.

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Thanks for the test! Just made a few minor tweaks to your test profile (including just letting users know about potential missing dependencies until those other ones are covered)

http://openbenchmarking.org/innhold/...75c438a9bfe018
    You're welcome and thanks for benchmarking, would be cool if this processor finally made it actually reasonable to compile web browsers as opposed to the status quo of being "lol no"

Comment

like my "whole others posrs" there is no answer to my question...
      i wonder if women in the usa are all seen like some chinese in the same country...

watch her working for the master :

and she should have to be sexy...

by the way i am not surprised so much by such a BAD behaviour from a man called "l arabe" and that can wrote 23 times michael on a single webpage having his name as address : http://www.michaellarabel.com/michael.php

have a nice day , ill be back when linux will be at 2% of market OS ;"]
      Last edited by jcgeny; 10 September 2014, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jcgeny View Post
        it is not 5970 but 5960 ...and you should compare with an equivalent cpu from amd :
        AMD Opteron? 6300 Series Processors ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​6386 SE 16cores 2.8GHz 3.5GHz 16MB 140W G34
        prices are the same , amd made it in 2012...
        Do you have an idea how do these 2 compare?

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
          According to Michaels tests, Intel 5970X (900? in Europe) is double as fast vs AMD 8370 (180? in Europe) - timed Linux kernel compile and C-Ray.
          OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

AMD results could definitely be improved via finetuning of governor, but I guess no more than several percent.
          So that looks like an advantage of AMD (in price/performance). What would happen if AMD made a EUR900 consumer CPU? But maybe they are not able to make a CPU of double the speed at any price. Maybe it would be possible to just increase the caches for the ~700EUR difference?

Comment

Originally posted by aceman View Post
            So that looks like an advantage of AMD (in price/performance). What would happen if AMD made a EUR900 consumer CPU? But maybe they are not able to make a CPU of double the speed at any price. Maybe it would be possible to just increase the caches for the ~700EUR difference?
            If your project can build with distcc or any of the other parallel build systems, then in terms of price/performance you might well find that $1000 worth of quad core i5s beats a similar 8 or 16 core setup. And if you only do builds rarely, then renting several dynamic machines on Amazon for 10 minutes is probably more cost efficient than buying and running the hardware yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by jcgeny View Post
              it is not 5970 but 5960 ...and you should compare with an equivalent cpu from amd :
              AMD Opteron? 6300 Series Processors ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​6386 SE 16cores 2.8GHz 3.5GHz 16MB 140W G34
              prices are the same , amd made it in 2012...
              5960x - yes a typo. There is no 5970. Everything else - including comparison is correct, 2x speed advantage at 5x price.

No, one doesn't compare desktop/workstation CPU (core i7, AMD fx) with server/cluster CPU(opteron, xeon). That is, unless one wants ECC with Intel - Fx already supports ECC.

Comment

Originally posted by aceman View Post
                Do you have an idea how do these 2 compare?
                Intel would be faster, but advantage of AMD is option for multisocket and ECC. That is where opteron is geared towards.
                Last edited by brosis; 10 September 2014, 09:23 AM. Reason: IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                  According to Michaels tests, Intel 5970X (900? in Europe) is double as fast vs AMD 8370 (180? in Europe) - timed Linux kernel compile and C-Ray.

AMD results could definitely be improved via finetuning of governor, but I guess no more than several percent.
                  C-Ray is only Floating Point, so the AMD is only a QuadCore in this Bechmark.

Considering that and the price of the Intel, the performance is quite poor to be honest. Also considering that the 8370 is fast enough for everything you can do right now on a Desktop its even worse.

Sure there are times where the AMD will be to slow for some stuff, but in those times the Intel is also old and only worth 300 $ or something like that.

All in all its a pure waste of money in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                  X