Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Launches The Core i7 5960X, Mighty Powerful Haswell-E CPUs

Phoronix: Intel Launches The Core i7 5960X, Mighty Powerful Haswell-E CPUs

This morning Intel is lifting the lid on their Intel Core i7 high-end desktop processors for the LGA 2011-v3 socket. This new CPU line-up is what's been referred to as Haswell-E. We are in the process of testing Intel's Core i7 5960X Haswell-E under Linux but for now here's an overview of the new hardware.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can you benchmark an SSD hooked up via PCIe ( is it via the M2 interface?). These motherboards have got that right? I'm wondering what happens when SATA III is no longer limiting these things.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Can you benchmark an SSD hooked up via PCIe ( is it via the M2 interface?). These motherboards have got that right? I'm wondering what happens when SATA III is no longer limiting these things.
      Unfortunately I don't have any M2 SSDs right now...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Should be called Core i9 instead...
        Can't wait for Skylake SOCs.

Comment

hmm, to get one or not to get one, that is the question ... as an upgrade to my i7-965 Nehalem.
          Apparently Broadwell for the desktop will need a while to manifest, especially in socketed versions. So it might be a good time now ...

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            I've [just] purchased an Intel 530 series SSD / M.2 form factor. I'm hoping to have some time over the weekend to set it up. [I bought the drive yesterday/last night]. My ASUS z97i-plus MOBO has an M.2 device port on the back of the board. Fyi, You don't need a modern MOBO [or this gen intel CPU] to support the M.2 devices/technology, though - since you can buy pcie/M.2 adapters/cards...

If you are really curious - there are lots of videos / reviews of M.2 devices on youtube. I've mostly seen Mac / Windows testing, but it should give you are pretty good idea. [even things like 0-raid setups with 2 M.2 SSDs are there].

Myself, I will be curious to see what effect it has on my system vs. my conventional SSD [Samsung EVO 840]. The native mode for M.2 in UEFI BIOS; nvme should be interesting;

Originally posted by wikipedia
            NVMe has been designed from the ground up, capitalizing on the low latency and parallelism of PCI Express SSDs, and fulfilling the parallelism of contemporary CPUs, platforms and applications. At a high level, the basic advantages of NVMe over AHCI relate to NVMe's ability to exploit parallelism in host hardware and software, based on its design advantages that include data transfers with fewer stages, greater depth of command queues and more efficient interrupts processing.

This all sounds very good [same with the doc's in my MOBO manual that touch on it], so hopefully, my M.2 SSD ends up giving me some measurable/noticeable benefits.

Comment

How does multithreaded performance per dollar compare to AMD 8-core?

This chip will probably sell for five times what AMD sells an 8 core for, doubt there will be any job it can do five times faster. Maybe twice as fast if it's very, very good for true multithreaded loads that fully use all 8 cores.

Intel usually sells their highest performance chip for about $1,000. Due to poor gaming and single-threaded performance the AMD FX8350 can be found for about $150 these days. AMD motherboards are also cheaper. There are some jobs, especially video rendering into H264 or similar codecs where AMD bulldozer and Piledriver are a match or near-match for the best Intel non-LGA 2011 (4 RAM channel) chips of the same generation.

If someone was to build a video render farm for something like 4-K long form movie rendering, they might get more performance with a larger number of cheaper AMD 8-core chips, in fact you could have at least two, maybe three nodes in a render farm for the price on a single new Intel 8 core chip and its board. Intel would retain an edge in power consumption here, but rendering is such a small part of the total time in video editing that all but the primary node could spend most of their time entirely shut off and consuming no power.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                This chip will probably sell for five times what AMD sells an 8 core for, doubt there will be any job it can do five times faster. Maybe twice as fast if it's very, very good for true multithreaded loads that fully use all 8 cores.
                I agree, it would be really cool to see additional benchmarks with AMD processors along with intel on linux based on "performance per dollar".

Comment

you are kidding?

Originally posted by Luke View Post

Intel usually sells their highest performance chip for about $1,000. Due to poor gaming and single-threaded performance the AMD FX8350 can be found for about $150 these days. AMD motherboards are also cheaper. There are some jobs, especially video rendering into H264 or similar codecs where AMD bulldozer and Piledriver are a match or near-match for the best Intel non-LGA 2011 (4 RAM channel) chips of the same generation.

If someone was to build a video render farm for something like 4-K long form movie rendering, they might get more performance with a larger number of cheaper AMD 8-core chips, in fact you could have at least two, maybe three nodes in a render farm for the price on a single new Intel 8 core chip and its board. Intel would retain an edge in power consumption here, but rendering is such a small part of the total time in video editing that all but the primary node could spend most of their time entirely shut off and consuming no power.
                  this cpu destroy the best amd no doubt, but i never buy a 1000 euros cpu

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                    this cpu destroy the best amd no doubt, but i never buy a 1000 euros cpu
                    It's not about whether it'll destroy the AMD CPU (which is a given, I'm sad to say), the question is whether it is at least 4x times more powerful to justify the 4x increase in price over the AMD one.

Especially when you can't claim the whole "it'll win out eventually in your electricity bill!" because there are several models of the AMD 8-core that use a 125w tdp (they're not the high-end models, but still...)

Comment

Working...
                    X