No announcement yet.

AMD Launches The A10-7800, The 65 Watt Kaveri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're into gaming you will put the most money into a discrete gpu, like my son who uses an i3 with a R9 290 = maximum gaming performance per dollar. Kaveri wouldn't do him any good.

For myself, as a Linux/Android hacker, I recently upgraded my home server/Linux workstation with a i5 4570S which also has 65W TDP. But is very very much faster than Kaveri, and actually not much more expensive. And it was easily obtainable. I use a discrete Nvidia card, meaning gaming performance is much better than Kaveri too. Kaveri wouldn't do me any good.

For htpc I always used outdated PC stuff I don't use anymore, those various components inside a box has at all times played back 1080P movies flawlessly, I wouldn't put any money into another box.

I'm sure there is someone out there who finds Kaveri intriguing, like for the so-not-here-yet heterogenous computing, but I see it mostly as a laptop cpu and maybe somewhat interesting for lower TDP:s than 45/65W. Talking about laptops I recently bought a laptop for my daughter, it uses a Haswell i7 ULV which performs quite well with Windows 8.1, but it is only 15W TDP. Hard to beat for Kaveri, and it uses a Nvidia gpu so gaming is better too.

AMD really needs to have higher single threaded performance cores to be an alternative that doesn't compromise real world performance, otherwise most people will do like me and end up buying Intel. Total platform cost doesn't differ much even if the cpu is a few dollars cheaper. And in the ultra portable world like phones and tablets ARM already rules, being a headache even for Intel, AMD isn't even near a tablet design win afaik .... so, very cheap laptops could be the thing for Kaveri, possibly ...

Comment

Originally posted by xeizo View Post
      If you're into gaming you will put the most money into a discrete gpu, like my son who uses an i3 with a R9 290 = maximum gaming performance per dollar. Kaveri wouldn't do him any good.

For myself, as a Linux/Android hacker, I recently upgraded my home server/Linux workstation with a i5 4570S which also has 65W TDP. But is very very much faster than Kaveri, and actually not much more expensive. And it was easily obtainable. I use a discrete Nvidia card, meaning gaming performance is much better than Kaveri too. Kaveri wouldn't do me any good.

For htpc I always used outdated PC stuff I don't use anymore, those various components inside a box has at all times played back 1080P movies flawlessly, I wouldn't put any money into another box.

I'm sure there is someone out there who finds Kaveri intriguing, like for the so-not-here-yet heterogenous computing, but I see it mostly as a laptop cpu and maybe somewhat interesting for lower TDP:s than 45/65W. Talking about laptops I recently bought a laptop for my daughter, it uses a Haswell i7 ULV which performs quite well with Windows 8.1, but it is only 15W TDP. Hard to beat for Kaveri, and it uses a Nvidia gpu so gaming is better too.

AMD really needs to have higher single threaded performance cores to be an alternative that doesn't compromise real world performance, otherwise most people will do like me and end up buying Intel. Total platform cost doesn't differ much even if the cpu is a few dollars cheaper. And in the ultra portable world like phones and tablets ARM already rules, being a headache even for Intel, AMD isn't even near a tablet design win afaik .... so, very cheap laptops could be the thing for Kaveri, possibly ...
      Actually for real world performance it's just fine. It's competitive and even wins in the markets it's shooting for which is the segment for people not running discrete graphics cards, for the high end from AMD you currently want to be look at the FX-8350. They don't currently have a high end CPU for this generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Actually for real world performance it's just fine. It's competitive and even wins in the markets it's shooting for which is the segment for people not running discrete graphics cards, for the high end from AMD you currently want to be look at the FX-8350. They don't currently have a high end CPU for this generation.
        The market it's shooting for is probably almost non existent because anyone really interested in graphics performance will most likely run a discrete graphics card, and those not interested in graphics are probably more interested in cpu performance, which is Kaveris weak spot.

Comment

The market it's shooting for is probably almost non existent because anyone really interested in graphics performance will most likely run a discrete graphics card, and those not interested in graphics are probably more interested in cpu performance, which is Kaveris weak spot.
          Actually it's the largest segment, it's the segment for the average user and the lightweight gamer, for which it's performance is basically best in category, in terms of what matters to them. Further for the majority of the overall market, single threaded performance stopped mattering to their workloads with the advent of the Core 2 series. For programmers, and those abusing Excel, as well as enthusiasts sure there's much better things on the market... like the FX-8350 but this isn't targeted at them

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            Actually it's the largest segment, it's the segment for the average user and the lightweight gamer, for which it's performance is basically best in category, in terms of what matters to them. Further for the majority of the overall market, single threaded performance stopped mattering to their workloads with the advent of the Core 2 series. For programmers, and those abusing Excel, as well as enthusiasts sure there's much better things on the market... like the FX-8350 but this isn't targeted at them
            You're hinting at those that don't even know what they are buying, as long as it works, sure. It is a niche. But consider those that do know that the cheapest Haswell Pentium outperforms this in most benchmarks, and couple that Pentium with a cheap discrete card at about the same cost as a single Kaveri and it outperforms the Kaveri on almost all fronts and certainly in graphics.

A Core i3 on the other hand is plenty faster, but then you wont be able to fit the graphics card within the same cost. But you have the Pentium AE, which can be overclocked, surprisingly it beats Kaveri in multithreading when OC:d using only 2 cores vs 4 cores.

Kaveri has the best igp, but it is too weak for contemporary 1080P-gaming, and the cpu is much weaker than the competition. If you're happy with low res and older games it will do, otherwise a cheap Intel + discrete gpu is the better choice cost/performance-wise.

Comment

Does anyone know if AMD has implemented / is using any form of Transactional Synchronization Extensions???

I ask, because recently, i put together a mini-itx box [and while i tend to buy AMD because of this form factor - I went with Intel [due to integrated GFX, uncertainty with newest AMD CPUs, etc]. So i bought an Intel i7 4790 [Haswell] quad-core [8 cores, when using Hyperthreading]. I have been absolutely blown away by TSX [which is implemented in H/W - for legacy apps, in software - via linux, threading libraries [like libpthread, etc] - it makes such a difference in performance in many situations. I'm guessing AMD isn't supporting TSX [or don't have their own implemenetation, yet] but hopefully, they pull one out - because it is a must have feature with modern h/w + s/w , imo.

anyway, regardless, it is nice to see AMD pushing forward.

Comment

Aren't you ruling out the entire part of the market that don't care all that much about either graphics, or high-end performance? Say, business desktop machines... companies with a few thousand people sitting in a call-center answering phones for a living? It might not be glamorous, but it's a much bigger market than targeting gamers...

Comment

4 cores means here 4 modules right? like the fx4300 as example.

I just bought a fx6300, in my opinion the best u can get at the moment from amd price + performence / consumption wise.

I dont really get why amd brings no 6 core kaveri, seems to me the best compromise my fx6300 consumes more or less the same energy then a fx4300 but has in most games nearly the performance of a fx8300.

Of course if u need more performance u have to buy intel stuff.

I had a fx4100 before so I had the board and because I dont have a 400 euro grafics card the fx6300 should not bottleneck me (at the moment hd5850 soon maybe hd7950)

Comment

Yep i considered these APUs for somebody looking at the watts/price with no additional card and no overclocking . Products are fine in that regard, and i am actually only interested to see how much CPU/GPU performance difference is between 95W K CPUs and these new non K optimized for lower power suckage .

Lets go Michael benchmark A10-7850K 95W vs A10-7800 65W and in 45W mode too

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                      Does anyone know if AMD has implemented / is using any form of Transactional Synchronization Extensions???

I ask, because recently, i put together a mini-itx box [and while i tend to buy AMD because of this form factor - I went with Intel [due to integrated GFX, uncertainty with newest AMD CPUs, etc]. So i bought an Intel i7 4790 [Haswell] quad-core [8 cores, when using Hyperthreading]. I have been absolutely blown away by TSX [which is implemented in H/W - for legacy apps, in software - via linux, threading libraries [like libpthread, etc] - it makes such a difference in performance in many situations. I'm guessing AMD isn't supporting TSX [or don't have their own implemenetation, yet] but hopefully, they pull one out - because it is a must have feature with modern h/w + s/w , imo.

anyway, regardless, it is nice to see AMD pushing forward.
                      How are you comparing TSX vs. non-TSX performance?

Comment

Working...
                      X