Russia To Replace AMD/Intel CPUs With 64-bit ARM Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Szzz View Post
    There really are some Russian-designed processors, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbrus_2000
    It is not very fast but it's enough for some embedded applications in military.
    That doesn't make what I said any less true. AMD & Intel won't lose sleep over this.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Not many good beers in Russia, but will drink a few local ones once in a while, mostly just cognac and vodka... And water the rest of the time.
      They don't have the weather for growing hops and barley: Alcohol belts of Europe

Comment

It will be interesting to find out which gpu vendor they use. I would hope they would pick intel due to their open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
          It will be interesting to find out which gpu vendor they use.
          i bet Mali or PowerVR.

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
          I would hope they would pick intel due to their open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by cookieninja View Post
            Sure they will, just like they were planning to migrate away from Windows a few years ago.

Anti-American rhetoric, that's all it is.
            I work at government science institution (in Russia) and we've using Linux since the begginning of times, cause you just can't get any shit done with Windows. But we have 1 workstation with XP for legacy apps (mostly databases)
            For the hardware there is unfortunately not much choice: Intel-ridden asian made desktops for workstations and Xeon-ridden nodes for clusters. It's would be nice to see alternative for desktops but for high perfomance computing there is no alternative yet.

Though I very hope to see Russian-Asian hardware bringing western corps to their knees in 10-20 yeras. We already have our market filled with Asian and Russian-Asian made consumer hardware that is cheap but works for 100% of its price.

Comment

Re

Lol, Russian paranoia... They've kept this paranoia since the USSR times...
              In my country we have some of their channels and you should of seen how their politicians were yelling on the national tv that the big amount of snow that has fallen this winter in their country was made by the Americans(yes, now when Chicago was also in a big cold)...

Comment

While I don?t really trust Intel and (to a lesser extent) AMD due to possible influence from the USA government, I certainly wouldn?t believe a processor ordered by the Russian government to be more secure?

Comment

@Nille
                  I was thinking the same thing hahaha.

But anyway, seems a little stupid Russia wants to avoid AMD and Intel for those reasons. As far as I'm aware, Germany and Singapore have a pretty big role in the production of x86 CPUs, so it isn't just the US gaining 100% of the cash. Maybe Russia could limit customers to CPUs made in other countries?

Either way, I'm not particularly upset. Maybe ARM can finally get some serious attention and we'll get ATX boards with external memory, PCIe buses, and higher quantities of things like SATA and USB ports. What I personally find interesting is if people can figure out a way do high-speed communication between ARM chips, then you could potentially have several ARM processors (such as M3s) that handle their own set of features such as USB ports, SATA ports, and PCIe slots. Then you've got 1 "root" system that runs your main OS and uses something like an A17.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    @Nille

But anyway, seems a little stupid Russia wants to avoid AMD and Intel for those reasons. As far as I'm aware, Germany and Singapore have a pretty big role in the production of x86 CPUs, so it isn't just the US gaining 100% of the cash. Maybe Russia could limit customers to CPUs made in other countries?

Either way, I'm not particularly upset. Maybe ARM can finally get some serious attention and we'll get ATX boards with external memory, PCIe buses, and higher quantities of things like SATA and USB ports. What I personally find interesting is if people can figure out a way do high-speed communication between ARM chips, then you could potentially have several ARM processors (such as M3s) that handle their own set of features such as USB ports, SATA ports, and PCIe slots. Then you've got 1 "root" system that runs your main OS and uses something like an A17.
                    You still need an abstraction layer like the BIOS (or EFI) for desktop ARM to be feasible. I don't want to have to mess with special hardware-specific hooks just to install an operation system into a PC, or have to work with device-specific spins of operating systems like what we are seeing with Android and smartphones today where a base generic Android image won't even bootstrap on any phone.

Plus ARM chips are so tightly integrated and there are hundreds of variations between them (SoC A uses radio A, gpu B, SoC B uses the same CPU as SoC A but with radio B and gpu A, and so on and so forth). Getting proper drivers is going to be a nightmare unless desktop ARM chips are made to have only the CPU cores and nothing else.
                    Last edited by Sonadow; 21 June 2014, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      @Nille

Maybe having abudance of Intel and AMD CPUs limits your vision. Having big and important internal consumer will allow them to pour money into developement, which is almost inexistant outside of space and military equipment, and after that they will be buying stuff from themselves not serving petrodollar.

Comment

Working...
                      X