AMD's New Athlon/Semprons Give Old Phenom CPUs A Big Run For The Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's New Athlon/Semprons Give Old Phenom CPUs A Big Run For The Money

Phoronix: AMD's New Athlon/Semprons Give Old Phenom CPUs A Big Run For The Money

Curious how AMD's new AM1 platform APUs compare to the original AMD Phenom processors? Wondering myself, I ran some tests showing how the Sempron 2650 and 3850 along with the Athlon 5150 and 5350 compare to the original Phenom 9500 and Phenom II X3 710 processors with RS780/RS880 motherboards. Besides the new APUs being competitive against the old hardware while costing much less than the original Phenom CPUs, their power consumption is also at a fraction of AMD's former high-end processors. Here's a brief but nice look at AMD's processing evolution in going from Phenom CPUs to today's AMD budget APUs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let's see:

AMD Phenom X4 9500:
    Frequency: 2200MHz
    Cores: 4
    Cache: 4MB
    Introduction date: Nov 19, 2007

AMD Athlon 5350:
    CPU Frequency: 2050MHz
    Cache: 2MB
    Introduction date: March, 2014

In most tests the old Phenom is a lot faster than the new Athlon (sometimes twice as fast, e.g. in John the Ripper:md5), i.e. AMD's CPUs IPC hasn't really improved for seven years. Meanwhile Intel's CPUs sport almost 50% improvement in IPC.

At least TDP has improved considerably (25W vs 65W), but that's not a relief when competitor's CPUs run 30-100% faster depending on tests.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Let's see:

AMD Phenom X4 9500:

AMD Athlon 5350:

In most tests the old Phenom is a lot faster than the new Athlon (sometimes twice as fast, e.g. in John the Ripper:md5), i.e. AMD's CPUs IPC hasn't really improved for seven years. Meanwhile Intel's CPUs sport almost 50% improvement in IPC.

At least TDP has improved considerably (25W vs 65W), but that's not a relief when competitor's CPUs run 30-100% faster depending on tests.
      Phenom's were $250 when they came out. Athlon's are $50.

Compare the Phenom vs Kaveri 7850K if you want an actual "similar-price-point" comparison, and even then the Phenom was $70 more at launch than the 7850k is.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Let's see:

AMD Phenom X4 9500:

AMD Athlon 5350:

In most tests the old Phenom is a lot faster than the new Athlon (sometimes twice as fast, e.g. in John the Ripper:md5), i.e. AMD's CPUs IPC hasn't really improved for seven years.
        I think you should have spent more time at school doing maths, the difference ids less than 50% which is probably predominantly a memory bandwidth issue.

If you want to cheery pick benches make a point there are other benches where the Athlon is around 3 times faster than the Phenom such as Unvanquished.

Comment

Thanks Michael, a very interesting article. Too bad you didn't have any x6s around anymore.

Comment

Still would love to see those cheap A-series chips pitted against Athlon! You can score an A6-6400k for a mere 65 bucks!

Comment

Interesting. I have a Phenom II X4, and at the moment it's in an HTPC (overpowered, I know), but in the future I plan to use that in a self-hosting server. Good to know it's still halfway decent at the job of actually computing things.

Comment

Also note that the 25W of the 5350 includes CPU, GPU, and controllers, while the phenom only the CPU. Phenom GPU and system controllers are on north/south bridges and require additional power.

Comment

Why on Earth were the graphics/games benchmarks included? Anyone still using these CPUs (and caring about GPU speed) would almost certainly have a separate graphics card, not relying on the GPU in the chipset.

Of real interest with this comparison was CPU integer and floating point performance, and memory speed (including caches). The graphics benchmarks were pointless.

Comment

Let's see:

AMD Phenom X4 9500:

AMD Athlon 5350:

Ah yes because making comments on AMD's IPC by comparing their Netbook Processors to their Desktop Processors, and pretending they're the desktop processors makes so much sense. Here's a hint for you, if you want to compare modern AMD IPC look at the Kaveri APUs or the Piledriver FX series, this article is to see where the new/cheap netbook processors line up compared to the particularly old Phenom processors

Comment

Working...
                    X