DDR3 Memory Scaling Performance With AMD's Athlon 5350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _ONH_ View Post
    Good question why does not every car run up to 300kmph? The cheap answer ist no one will use it. So goes it with the FPU Particle simulations could also calculated on the GPU, it might needs different formulas but should be more efficient with higher numbers of particles.

On the 7zip Test you see the Modules is better with integer workloads, which should be used more often if I recall it correct.

Its the same as the discussion with belt driven bikes vs the ones driven with a chain. There are pro and con on both sides, typically you choose the one that fits your use case best.
    You have a good point, but let's analyze why it would make sense to have only one fps unit for every modulo:
    1) Price, less stuff into the cpu = cost lest to build, and it's less likely to come out with something broken
    2) Power consummation
    3) Die space

First and second point are kinda invalidated by Kabini, which is cheap, has better performance per watt than Kaveri, and cost less.
    Third point would be fair, but Bulldozers is the architecture used for desktop cpu that doesn't have an iGPU. Ok, a market that AMD seems to be abandoning, but I don't think this was the plain years ago.
    To me, it feels like one of those ideas "great on paper, but useless/bad in reality".

That said, you're right, integer performance is usually what matter the most, especially now that we have GPU that are really good at fp math.

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    An interesting read for people who like to examine CPU architecture... http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ad-performance

Its not totally up to date, so the information may not apply for Kaveri / Steamroller, but its a general overview of what went wrong with AMD's Bulldozer.
    Not so related, but if anyone is interested in Jaguar: http://www.realworldtech.com/jaguar/

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
      Michael , do you still have the ASUS AM1I-A MoBo ?

I got a tip about it and i confirmed that in the manual says that this MoBo, as opposite to all known AM1 Mobos, allows, besides RAM speed and voltage adjustments, it also allows APU frequency, APU multiplier , APU voltage and NB Frequency adjustments....

Check pages 42 and 43 of English PDF manual...

Can you confirm this ?
      If so, I wonder if it will allow increase of multiplier...

If so, now we know why the P4 connector and VRM heatsink
      I have AM1M-A motherboard (on package it says that even 1866MHz (O.C.) is supported) and Athlon 5350, there are three modes in bios: silent, normal and asus optimal for the click . In asus optimal mode it boost memory slightly to 1680 MHz and APU is now working at 2150 MHz . At least that prove that something can be than in knowledgable hands - it is not locked to 2050 and 1600 MHz .
      Last edited by dungeon; 13 April 2014, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Seriously? Damn it >< I was hoping itd be sooner.

An interesting read for people who like to examine CPU architecture... http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ad-performance

Its not totally up to date, so the information may not apply for Kaveri / Steamroller, but its a general overview of what went wrong with AMD's Bulldozer.

Also, would anyone be interested in some Windows 7 x64 vs Fedora 20 / 21 x64 Kaveri (7850k, 2133mhz RAM, 7200RPM drive) benchmarks in the coming months? I've got no problem running as much of the Phoronix Test Suite on my new desktop once it gets built as the first-run stress test.
        For kaveri(or kabini; which ever is called Jaguar) there's a really nice arch "overview" (imho, it's far too in depth to be just an overview but I'm not sure what else to call it) at real world tech.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          I have AM1M-A motherboard (on package it says that even 1866MHz (O.C.) is supported) and Athlon 5350, there are three modes in bios: silent, normal and asus optimal for the click . In asus optimal mode it boost memory slightly to 1680 MHz and APU is now working at 2150 MHz . At least that prove that something can be than in knowledgable hands - it is not locked to 2050 and 1600 MHz .
          I've tried in advanced mode yes it allows manually to adjust APU frequency defaults is 100 i set that to 105 (that also Asus Optimal mode do) and that is stable with my HyperX KHX1600C9D3/4G memory . Tried also more than but it is not stable and OS doesn't boot I guees if someone have good overclockable module which can go to 1866MHz could set APU freq to 116 that and be happy . So on paper Athlon 5350 with Asus boards can go up to 2.4 GHz at best .

Comment

So what ram did you use? Are there any manual OC settings or is it all just done via presets? Theres no reviews of the board yet, care to take some pics of the OC settings in the BIOS/UEFI?

I seems to be the only mobo that supports any kind of OC, all the rest have no options. Shame it's not ITX.

Comment

I've tried in advanced mode yes it allows manually to adjust APU frequency defaults is 100 i set that to 105 (that also Asus Optimal mode do) and that is stable with my HyperX KHX1600C9D3/4G memory . Tried also more than but it is not stable and OS doesn't boot I guees if someone have good overclockable module which can go to 1866MHz could set APU freq to 116 that and be happy . So on paper Athlon 5350 with Asus boards can go up to 2.4 GHz at best .
              Could be the ram preventing that OC, try loosening the CAS timings on the ram, try 10-10-10-30 @ 1866Mhz without touching the voltage and see how it goes, from there try and hit 9-9-9-27 @1866Mhz.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                So what ram did you use? Are there any manual OC settings or is it all just done via presets?
                HyperX KHX1600C9D3/4G. I actualy never overclock anything, but people writes it canot be overclocked and just saw that AM1M-A allows everything to be set manualy , Ai Overclock Tuner need to be set to Manual, than i can adjust APU frequency OK i will play with CAS timings next

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  So what ram did you use? Are there any manual OC settings or is it all just done via presets? Theres no reviews of the board yet, care to take some pics of the OC settings in the BIOS/UEFI?

I seems to be the only mobo that supports any kind of OC, all the rest have no options. Shame it's not ITX.
                  Reading the manual of the ASUS mITX AM1 MoBo it seems to be also possible with it , so , yeah, there is a mITX that can do it

These Mobos from ASUS must be the ones about the AMD person said weeks/days ago that would allow APU and RAM OC

Comment

Thanks for the info...

You should avoid go over much more than 105 because it will make VGA (if you use HDMI, no problem) and/or USB,etc. unstable....116 is a no go....but you can try to push it up to 107....some MoBos/APUs can go up to 107 w/o problems...

As for RAM , you might need adjust Northbridge clock and voltage....here is one of many guides that explains a bit...

I take no responsabilty, in special about those table values , this article is NOT about KABINI >:>

There is a bunch of other articles in the net about it...google is your friend

A complementary or alternative option is instead of try OC 1600MHz RAM, simply use 1866MHz RAM from another build or a friend and see what happens...
                    Last edited by AJSB; 13 April 2014, 04:16 AM.

Comment

PS In the mITX ASUS Mobo besides base APU clock , you can adjust APU `Multiplier`...check if also exists in your MoBo that option...*if* exists and allows more than 20.5 , you can bump CPU and GPU frequencies...go in small steps and makes tests and check temps...

Can?t wait for aftermarket coolers for this APU

We need something with Al(/Cu) heatsink with a diferent size (maybe 80x80x15 or even 80x80x12.5 or as alternative, 70x70x12.5 skived Cu) screwed to MoBo and a nice 80x80x25 (or at last resort , 60x60x25) fan (Noctua PWM) on top of it...

At last resort, i can pull that off as a DIY project from a skived copper heatsink like the one used by me in my Kaveri-ready build ...easy to modify cutting part of it and drilling new mounting holes
                      Last edited by AJSB; 13 April 2014, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X