Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Brings Back Semprons & Athlons With The 2014 AM1 Platform

Phoronix: AMD Brings Back Semprons & Athlons With The 2014 AM1 Platform

After much information being made public in March concerning AMD's AM1 platform that delivers socketed APUs for low-cost desktop systems, the first of these new socketed APUs are shipping today under the restored Athlon and Sempron branding. We've been fortunate enough to have one of the new Athlon AM1 APUs at Phoronix for a few days of testing.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The athlon branding are in fm2+ igpless processors too(not kaveri based though).

Nonetheless might be good platform for htpc and casual living room gaming.

Comment

Might be useful as a pfSense machine...

Comment

Could Gigabyte please make a cheap Brix version with this.

Comment

They must focus on developing new CPU architecture(s), not introduce CPUs which cannot compete with Intel's cheapest Celerons.

AMD's IPC performance absolutely sucks - they cannot even beat original Intel Core 2 CPUs which were released eight freaking years ago.

Comment

Need make a single-board computer

They say less than $40 but when you add power supply and chassis its much more.
            Also its hard to come by small chassis and power supplies.

I wish they made a single-board computer with case and power supply.
            Like Intel NUC.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              They must focus on developing new CPU architecture(s), not introduce CPUs which cannot compete with Intel's cheapest Celerons.

AMD's IPC performance absolutely sucks - they cannot even beat original Intel Core 2 CPUs which were released eight freaking years ago.
              My family would rather have an affordable mini pc that is power efficient. If Intel can supply that with AMD prices go right ahead. I would buy one for my father, mother and for the linux testing pc. 500+ euro is too much for a small pc where performance is not really important. Why is a Nexus 7(which is fast enough) 250 euro and Brix 500+?

Comment

What I don't get is why AMD is making the AM1 socket. FM2 already has Semprons and I think Athlons too. There's already a socket AM2 and AM3 so what is AMD going to do for the next generation?

If AMD decides to release a Phenom series with 6-8 cores for this AM1 socket then I'm a little more open to it. But otherwise, if I'm going to go for a super cheap system, I'd rather get an A4 or A6.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
                  My family would rather have an affordable mini pc that is power efficient. If Intel can supply that with AMD prices go right ahead. I would buy one for my father, mother and for the linux testing pc. 500+ euro is too much for a small pc where performance is not really important.
                  500 € is what you need for a low-end PC, but with a SSD and nice case/PSU. If you can do without a SSD and a nice case/PSU, you could build one for about 300 €.

AMD isn't cheaper than Intel these days, especially if you take power usage and other stuff (single thread performance) into account.

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
                  Why is a Nexus 7(which is fast enough) 250 euro and Brix 500+?
                  Nexus 7 is built in huge volumes, sold to lots of people, Brix targets a niche market. Also, the Brix is noisy and very hot.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    The competition here is the ATOM line in case you missed it. That and Intel terrible GPUS. As such Kabini does very well. I wouldn't expect these chips to drive a high performance laptop of desktop but they would deliver very good results for lesser uses. Further is AMD came out with an embedded version I could see strong demand.
                    This chip isn't designed to compete with that platform. Besides you underestimate just how important GPUs are these days in delivering systems that feel good to the user. You need to realize that AMD has had considerable success competing against ATOM. This doesn't mean they don't need to fix their high performance architectures just that I really think you mis how important this segment is to AMD.

Comment

Working...
                    X