BeagleBone Black: The Sub-$50 ARM Linux Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
    The RasPis are still on top in the same niche they filled when they first came out. Low-powered, general-purpose mid-performance embedded dev board.

You can find better boards for specific purposes like streaming or real-time or serving files... But one board that does it all passably well while being this cheap? It's just the Pi for now.
    I'm sorry that you seem to be unable to read. Like Jay.B. and chrisb said, some RPis corrupt the filesystem due to hardware bugs and also the usb/ethernet performance is shit. Not to mention you neeed to solder a cap there to not make it reboot when you plug in 5 mA USB devices. The RPi is cheap yes but it's also full of stupid bugs and the old revs of the board are even worse. For example there are several bugfixes to the 5V power problem but it still isn't working fully. If you want a system that it miles ahead in terms of reliability, buy ANY other ARM board and you're done.

Like was said, the ethernet is not 100 Mbps on RPi. It's closer to 20 Mbps. If you start buying accessories, consider cubietruck. It comes with wifi and so on. Rasberry soon becomes really expensive once you start stacking gear and also the 2 usb ports are soon full. You need a powered hub if you ever consider more than 2 USB devices. Those are not that cheap.

Please also consider the userspace is a sh*t to work with since the CPU is so slow. It won't get much better if you emulate with QEMU. And you need to do development somehow in that ARM6 environment, cross compiling just won't work with all problems.

Comment

Real Time & Real Time & Real Time

Sorry guys, but the TI Cortex-A8 Sitara CPU/MCU provides very fast performance for a low price, but only when someone considers hard real-time aspect. The 2 x 200MHz RISC PRUs working independently from main CPU make possible to implement response times for GPIO events and not only those far lower than any other platform mentioned in the article considering simultaneously running linux kernel on main CPU.

The question remains the same: what does the word "fast" really mean? It is something completely different when someone considers desktop usage and robot control electronics,

T.

Comment

My local meshnet group is thinking of using these for CJDNS routers.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          I'm sorry that you seem to be unable to read. Like Jay.B. and chrisb said, some RPis corrupt the filesystem due to hardware bugs and also the usb/ethernet performance is shit. Not to mention you neeed to solder a cap there to not make it reboot when you plug in 5 mA USB devices. The RPi is cheap yes but it's also full of stupid bugs and the old revs of the board are even worse. For example there are several bugfixes to the 5V power problem but it still isn't working fully. If you want a system that it miles ahead in terms of reliability, buy ANY other ARM board and you're done.

Like was said, the ethernet is not 100 Mbps on RPi. It's closer to 20 Mbps. If you start buying accessories, consider cubietruck. It comes with wifi and so on. Rasberry soon becomes really expensive once you start stacking gear and also the 2 usb ports are soon full. You need a powered hub if you ever consider more than 2 USB devices. Those are not that cheap.

Please also consider the userspace is a sh*t to work with since the CPU is so slow. It won't get much better if you emulate with QEMU. And you need to do development somehow in that ARM6 environment, cross compiling just won't work with all problems.
          You know, I own one myself; Model B revision 000f. Works fine for me. Mind you I did buy an extra 5$ breakout cable\board for my breadboard since I was fresh out of jumper wires... And I don't use the USB much at all. I didn't even have to use the LAN since I have a CP2105 for work already...

I'm guessing, different use cases?

Originally posted by trevik88 View Post
          Sorry guys, but the TI Cortex-A8 Sitara CPU/MCU provides very fast performance for a low price, but only when someone considers hard real-time aspect. The 2 x 200MHz RISC PRUs working independently from main CPU make possible to implement response times for GPIO events and not only those far lower than any other platform mentioned in the article considering simultaneously running linux kernel on main CPU.

The question remains the same: what does the word "fast" really mean? It is something completely different when someone considers desktop usage and robot control electronics,

T.
          This.

I wouldn't even know what to do with a 1Ghz real-time compute. And I do signal processing (and some analysis) with my Pi... Maybe it's for autonomous vehicles or robotics or something...

Most of these boards are just fine for their peculiar usages.

Comment

Comparing to other mini embedded systems would have been more helpful.

Beaglebone Black vs Ras Pi vs. ODROID (XU & Community)

These under $70 embedded devices can offer enough power for certain situations.

Comment

The BeagleBone platform is the entry point for proper embedded hardware, with a real company behind the project (TI) and proper build support for all aspects of the device (except the PowerVR SGX 530, of course). For professionals, that's far more important than price. I recently prototyped a networked consumer electronics device on the platform, complete with LVDS display, audio peripherals, etc. and I still had plenty of pins left over! Try doing that with a Raspberry Pi, a Sabre Lite or a CubieBoard...seriously.

Comment

As said above, neither the Pi nor the BBB compare the the Olimex LIME. The LIME costs about the same as the Pi, but gives you so so much more. Much faster, more perhipials, Many more pins exposed. And the Cortex-A8 is beefy as well. The LIME-2 will have more memory, gbit and dual core! Probably for not much more.

Comment

If your try to transfer files between your SD card and a USB device on the Raspberry Pi, the bottleneck will be SD interface performance, not USB performance. There is really no point in using a class 10 card in a Raspberry Pi, because it won't take advantage of the extra speed anyway. To get the best performance out of the Pi, some people put only the part of the system that absolutely needs to go on the SD card there, and put the rest of the system on a USB stick because the USB interface is so much faster than the SD card interface.

As someone else already noted, if your Raspberry Pi is corrupting its filesystem, it probably isn't getting enough power. Many have reported problems like this that went away when they used a better power supply.

As far as performance goes, except for video playback, pretty much anything you get is going to blow away the Raspberry Pi, because the weakest ARM v7 based processor is going to greatly outperform an old ARM v6 based one as the Raspberry Pi uses.

Yes, the Raspberry Pi is "legacy crap," but there are some advantages to legacy crap with a large community developer base to support it.
                  Last edited by CFWhitman; 18 February 2014, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Having owned the original Beagle Board C4, the BBB is a great upgrade for hobby electronics. the GPIOs are easier to work with. Rpie is legacy crap, no amount of community support would influence me to buy one, ever. BB community is great too. RCNelson did a lot of great work.

Doing a performance review of the BBB is such a waste... Do a battery life comparison! Paired with 5000mAh http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...1&format=6#faq

Boom, awesome mini robot controller

Comment

Agreed. The BBB is not only faster than the Rpi, but has so much more I/O which would be useful to embedded engineers.

Comment

Working...
                      X