Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recapping The AMD Kaveri Linux Experience

Phoronix: Recapping The AMD Kaveri Linux Experience

Since last month's debut of the AMD Kaveri APUs there have been many Phoronix articles delivering Linux test results of the A10-7850K high-end APU. For those that unfortunately don't read Phoronix on a daily basis, here's a recap of some of our findings to date...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just need to "get these mainboards fixed". Then I'll have one. Or two. There are nice offers on the market but some of them feature chips which seem (currently) not supported by the Linux kernel.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

HSA vs OpenCL vs C/C++ measured by power efficiency.

Everybody is doing performance for HSA right now. That could be something new.
      (Btw. HSA is present in Linux Catalyst, right? If not then forget about it...)

Comment

The list lacks 1 bad news:
        - No Mantle anytime soon

Comment

I looked at my spare parts, and realised that if I buy a new mobo and processor for my gaming rig, I'll have enough parts to make a decent Linux gaming box to stick Steam on (dual booting isn't going well for me at the moment for reasons I won't go into). So I'm looking at what CPU to buy, and I think I'm going for an Ivy Bridge. God that's depressing, I'm buying for a reasonably high end gaming box, and my best option is from the last gen. I really wanted to have AMD give me a good option, but no, they can't even match Intel's last gen.

I hope the devs start doing stuff with the GPU on the chip, because no self-respecting enthusiast has a box without dedicated graphics. So that silicon is sitting there doing nothing. And sadly, that's where all the innovation is going. Into a worthless pile of circuits that we don't use, just because nobody else is buying desktops any more.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            I hope the devs start doing stuff with the GPU on the chip, because no self-respecting enthusiast has a box without dedicated graphics. So that silicon is sitting there doing nothing. And sadly, that's where all the innovation is going. Into a worthless pile of circuits that we don't use, just because nobody else is buying desktops any more.
            An enthusiast gaming on Linux. LOL ROFL.
            Kaveri has much better gpu performance than its last generation and there is no intel anywhere providing this performance/$. And there is no Haswell anywhere beating Kaveri graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
              Kaveri has much better gpu performance than its last generation and there is no intel anywhere providing this performance/$. And there is no Haswell anywhere beating Kaveri graphics.
              This is true at the moment but I am sure Intel is working hard at beating Kaveri and soon there could well be a Haswell that can beat Kaveri at its game.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                This is true at the moment but I am sure Intel is working hard at beating Kaveri and soon there could well be a Haswell that can beat Kaveri at its game.
                There could be ARM developing a super-duper x86 killer right now. It could be revealed in 3 days and i am sure it will fit on current Intel MoBos.

Comment

There could be ARM developing a super-duper x86 killer right now. It could be revealed in 3 days and i am sure it will fit on current Intel MoBos.
                  Those ARM server chips from AMD come to mind.

In all seriousness, though, you don't need a really powerful CPU for gaming; a previous generation AMD FX or black edition cpu would probably be good enough, especially when complemented with a good discrete graphics solution. For me, an APU is plenty. YMMV, of course.

Comment

That's basically me, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                    X