X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I do. Boot times are important for me, because for one the current boot time I have is really not very good (around two minutes counting from kernel to desktop), and I surely am not going to stop shutting the device down (for energy reasons, and the fact that this device doesn't sleep successfully to begin with, it just displays a black screen and never finishes going to sleep).
    This sounds pretty bad even for a HD. Running some bloated sw I guess? Full KDE desktop with indexing, tracking, and Evolution integration all running at startup?

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
    I don't want to pay a premium just to increase boot/shutdown/hibernate times. Who cares? Really.
    I do. Boot times are important for me, because for one the current boot time I have is really not very good (around two minutes counting from kernel to desktop), and I surely am not going to stop shutting the device down (for energy reasons, and the fact that this device doesn't sleep successfully to begin with, it just displays a black screen and never finishes going to sleep).

Leave a comment:

• jakubo
    replied
    just a general idea:
    what would happen if one made an HSA enabled LLVMpipe implementation? Would this be beneficial? Or would this make no sense since applications are still written against opengl..?

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied

My next combo of mobo/mem/cpu will have so much memory to cache everything I touch (vfs_cache_pressure=1). Good luck throwing an SSD against that. Furthermore, I don't want to pay a premium just to increase boot/shutdown/hibernate times. Who cares? Really.
    Exactly. The only thing an SSD improves for a desktop is boot/shutdown/hibernate times, plus opening a program a few milliseconds faster. And if it is large enough and you use it to install games, it will make games load stages a little faster, big deal... It won't make your pc perform better for the money spend. With the money wasted on an SSD, you can just get a vastly better cpu or gpu...

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by Tgui View Post

Ha! What BS.
    For desktop use, SSDs are extremely overrated. Unless you are an SSD or retail salesman...

Leave a comment:

• Rexilion
    replied
    [QUOTE=Tgui;390848]

Ha! What BS.
    My next combo of mobo/mem/cpu will have so much memory to cache everything I touch (vfs_cache_pressure=1). Good luck throwing an SSD against that. Furthermore, I don't want to pay a premium just to increase boot/shutdown/hibernate times. Who cares? Really.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by movieman View Post
    APUs are meant to be cheap. Once you start putting gigabytes of exotic RAM on your motherboard, it's no longer cheap.

For the price of a Kaveri and a special motherboard with DDR5, you could buy a faster Intel CPU, the same amount of DDR3, and a faster discrete GPU. It's a crazy idea.
    The ram is by no means exotic. Intel's latest hardware recommends DDR3 2400Mhz, AMD recommends that the A10-7850K be run on DDR3 2133Mhz.

When it's the stock speed recommended by the manufacturers it's no longer "exotic".

AMD's intial plans where to have GDDR5 dimms be optional, hence the JEDEC standard for the GDDR5m dimms. These would be optional and the spec is very close to what DDR4 ram is going to be later this year/early next year.
    Last edited by Kivada; 22 January 2014, 12:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I'll get to know whether SSDs are overrated or not in about a week
    ...well, and also whenever people fix btrfs-bcache interactions.
    After you try one you'll wish you have the money to fully load your system with all the highest capacity SATA and PCIe SSDs out there.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by UraniumDeer View Post
    I'm all for being able to upgrade, but core Linux seems to be relatively stable in memory usage, as time progresses. Personally, I wouldn't mind having embedded memory if it means a vast improvement in performance. Also, that'd actually be pretty neat for things like Steam Machines.
    But then, I usually change CPU, motherboard, and memory all at once, so I have no issues with embedded memory, as long as it's quality, speedy, and there more than enough
    Then they could create a big cooler to cool it all. It'd be heavy, but silent, and cool.
    AMD had a hard enough time convincing the mobo manufacturers to do sideport ram beck in the pre-APU era HD series IGPs. Sideport was just a single 64Mb-128Mb DDR3 chip for the IGP to get a bandwidth boost from and was a much touted feature from AMD, but I think only 3-4 mobos ever even had it.

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by mmstick View Post
    PCIe is slower than system RAM.
    True enough. THoguh I wonder why Gigabyte never made a DDR2+ version of the iRAM ram drive. Before there where mass market SSDs you could get one of those and 4GB of DDR 400 and have a disc that was incredibly fast.

Imagine the same kind of thing taking 8x 16GB server sticks!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X