AMD A10-7850K vs. Intel/AMD CPU/APU Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
    Don't be so sure 45W TDP means half the performance of 95W TDP. The only article doing this comparison even on Windows was one from SemiAccurate that shows A8 7600 @45W has 80% of the perfromance of A10 7850K @95W in most tests. That would make it quite competitive against an i3, especialy since most tasks you'll do on a HTPC should be acceleratable by the GPU.
    Thanks for the link. I'll go read it later.

From this Phoronix article, the A10-7850K loses or just keeps up with a 54 W Haswell i3 while other tests show it's comparable to an i5. 80% of that isn't going to make things better. Of course, I need to figure out how it translates to what I plan on doing. I started clicking on the Open Benchmark links to see what these tests do but I'm still having a hard time due to some descriptions being too vague for people like me who are unfamiliar with such software. I plan on making a mini-ITX PC that replaces a micro-ATX one. Right now, the current PC not just acts as an HTPC but as a NAS, video transcoder (HandBrakeCLI since I'm not a video expert), archives/backs up data in .tar.xz that currently can take a pretty long time (I use Pixz because it support multi-threaded decompression), backs up stuff to Amazon S3 (aws-cli) and runs a VMware VM or 2. Of course, all of these aren't likely to run at the same time but several of them can be.

I don't keep up much with CPU performance until I plan on upgrading but so far, I may get more bang for my buck with an Intel chip. Do you know how much an A8-7600 chip is going to cost?

Comment

Looks like AnandTech added or I missed the A8-7600 chip. The MSRP is $119 so maybe it'll be less than that in actual retail. I'll start looking into the cost of mini-ITX boards to see what the total system price differences are between a Haswell and Kaveri. I hear AMD based mini-ITX boards are rare though.

Comment

Originally posted by guido12 View Post
        I hear AMD based mini-ITX boards are rare though.
        ASRock and Gigabyte seem to have nice FM2+ Mini-ITX mobos...

Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...ame=Mini%20ITX
          Wow, Canadian prices are crazy.

Comment

Thanks! I'll use those boards to compare the total system cost to a Haswell system with an H8x/B8x chipset.

I'll probably have to wait until these boards come with an updated BIOS unless I can update the BIOS even with a Kaveri APU installed. Also, maybe by that time there will be more mini-ITX Kaveri compatible boards to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
              Wow, Canadian prices are crazy.
              Crazy high or crazy low ? One dollar CDN is about 0.91 US right now.
              Test signature

Comment

AMD Kaveri A8-7600 MSRP $119

Originally posted by guido12 View Post
                I don't keep up much with CPU performance until I plan on upgrading but so far, I may get more bang for my buck with an Intel chip. Do you know how much an A8-7600 chip is going to cost?
                From a number of reviews, the AMD Kaveri A8-7600 is supposed to have a MSRP of $119 and if considering all around performance along with added features like TrueAudio, Mantle and GPU acceleration, there are no current Intel chips like it for the price. CPU performance was more important several years ago, but for most people the CPUs are more than enough for general tasks while there is a noticeable difference in graphics and GPU compute and gaming.

One common task is video transcoding and the AMD Kaveri A8-7600 shows it can accelerate past Intel's best:

Comment

AMD Kaveri Microcenter MB Battlefield 4 Bundles

Microcenter has a promotion with the AMD A10-7850K and A10-7700K bundles with Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, MSI matx motherboards. The cheapest is $199 with an Asus A55BM-E Socket FM2+ A55 mATX which means that anyone buying the bundle and sold off the MB and Battlefield 4 game would be able get the Kaveri A10-7850K for around $100.

Comment

Working...
                  X