AMD A10-7850K vs. Intel/AMD CPU/APU Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guido12 View Post
    It's looking like I'll be getting a <= 65 W TDP Haswell i3 or i5 for my mini-ITX PC if I guess how the 65 W TDP Kaveri chips might perform based on this article.
    I can get 65 Watt Kaveri TDP results out, happen to be a premium subscriber? This motherboard has a completely configurable TDP value down to 45 Watts for the A10-7850K.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      I can get 65 Watt Kaveri TDP results out, happen to be a premium subscriber? This motherboard has a completely configurable TDP value down to 45 Watts for the A10-7850K.
      Thanks but seeing that the 95 W TDP AMD APU has issues beating a 54 W Core i3, I'm pretty sure the 65 W AMD APUs are just going to do worse. I'm just waiting on actual retail prices for the APUs before making a final decision.

I'm not a premium subscriber but I do occasionally donate through PayPal (using a different email than the one for this account) because I have ad blocking on. It's actually costing me more than the subscription during the span since I've started visiting phoronix, haha. Even compared to the $14 per 3 month subscription plan during the same time, I still come out behind. Oh well, I have my reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        Thank you Michael, this is what i been asking for

I think Kaveri will get better with some time, for the price it's a good APU.
        I expected more from the GPU but i think it's catalyst that needs to shape up.
        Probably it is not a catalyst issue. It seems like CPU is not fast enough for GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Rakot View Post
          Probably it is not a catalyst issue. It seems like CPU is not fast enough for GPU.
          I'd say it's limited by the system ram speed, I'd like to see some ram OC gaming tests. Remember it's got 512 GCN shaders @ 720Mhz but is sharing the memory bus with the CPU.

Either way it looks like this will be in my new HTPC/Steambox.

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
            I think the most interesting benchmarks are Himeno and Primesieve.
            The fact that a 3.7ghz quad core can beat the 4ghz octacore fx8350 by such a great margin shows a great potential for the steamroller architecture!

Not all that impressive since those are both single-threaded benchmarks where a 4 GHz (with turbo-boost on a single core) Kaveri is... somewhat ahead of Piledriver. The trick is, AMD's roadmaps have shown that four coars is it for Steamroller. There's no replacement for the FX-8350.. it literally doesn't exist. It's APUs only until at least 2016 (and that's only because AMD hasn't put out any roadmaps into 2016, not because there are known plans for 8/16/etc. core chips). That's fine if you want to use the IGP, which is strong even under Linux with the less than perfect Catalyst driver, but the 4-core version can't keep up in the multithreaded tests with a real quad-core chip or a 6 or 8 core FX part.

Comment

well unless you can compile hsail code i think kaveri will remain uncompetitive against intel cpu's

Comment

Impress Me

Why the frack is the Intel CPU running the Radeon R 290 and not the AMD FX-8350 paired with it?

Show me something buy utililzing Code XL 1.3 on Linux and Windows, showing the OpenCL pairing capabilities of this arrangement and how much it matters versus using a mixed case of the Intel i4770 which gets the beef while you throw shit at the FX-8350 running a 512MB 6570/7570.

Seriously, what a fucked up pairing.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                  Not all that impressive since those are both single-threaded benchmarks where a 4 GHz (with turbo-boost on a single core) Kaveri is... somewhat ahead of Piledriver. The trick is, AMD's roadmaps have shown that four coars is it for Steamroller. There's no replacement for the FX-8350.. it literally doesn't exist. It's APUs only until at least 2016 (and that's only because AMD hasn't put out any roadmaps into 2016, not because there are known plans for 8/16/etc. core chips). That's fine if you want to use the IGP, which is strong even under Linux with the less than perfect Catalyst driver, but the 4-core version can't keep up in the multithreaded tests with a real quad-core chip or a 6 or 8 core FX part.
                  You aren't the target audience, the vast majority of home and buisness boxes out there are already plenty fast CPU wise, the thing they've been lacking in is a half decent GPU for the light video, 3D and compute loads they'll be seeing in corner cases.

The days where even the gamer needs the high end CPU are gone, just get a top end GPU and 3-5 1080p~1600p screens or a 4K screen and the CPU stops being the limiting factor again as the high end GPUs from both AMD and Nvidia are not optimized for a single 1440p or under screen anymore, they are expecting very large resolutions being run by the people looking to drop $300+ on a GPU.

On the server side, AMD is updating, if your dream is another high end AMD workstation see what ends up coming out for single and dual socket Opteron systems.
                  Last edited by Kivada; 17 January 2014, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                    Why the frack is the Intel CPU running the Radeon R 290 and not the AMD FX-8350 paired with it?

Show me something buy utililzing Code XL 1.3 on Linux and Windows, showing the OpenCL pairing capabilities of this arrangement and how much it matters versus using a mixed case of the Intel i4770 which gets the beef while you throw shit at the FX-8350 running a 512MB 6570/7570.

Seriously, what a fucked up pairing.
                    Seems like that must be a transcription glitch. I don't think the Kaveri GPU can outrun a Hawaii
                    Test signature

Comment

Anyone got experience with the ASRock FM2A88X EXTREME6+ mobo on Linux? I'm interested in it due to the reviews for Windows saying that it's HDMI port can be switched to an HDMI *input* and that the mobo has an irDA header for remote controls.

A-Style : ASRock Cloud, Purity Sound™, HDMI-In; Supports Socket FM2+ 95W / FM2 100W processors; Premium Gold Capacitor Design, Digi Power, 8 + 2 Power Phase Design; Supports Dual Channel DDR3 2600+(OC); 2 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 2.0 x16, 2 PCIe 2.0 x1, 2 PCI; Supports AMD Quad CrossFireX™, 3-Way CrossFireX™, CrossFireX™ and Dual Graphics; Integrated AMD Radeon™ R7/R5 Series Graphics in A-series APU; Graphics Output Options : D-Sub, DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort; Supports Quad Monitor with FM2+ CPU; 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC1150 Audio Codec), Supports DTS Connect; 7 SATA3, 1 eSATA, 6 USB 3.1 Gen1 (2 Front, 4 Rear), 8 USB 2.0; Supports A-Tuning, XFast 555, X-Boost, Easy Driver Installer, FAN-Tastic Tuning, USB Key

Comment

Working...
                      X