X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    @Phoronix-Michael

Um, I am not really familiar with the intel CPU governors but:

Is that a fair comparison between performance and ondemand driven CPUs/APUs?

PS: Wahoo! My 686th post. Did I win a CPU now?
    Intel CPUs on modern kernels use P-State driver where AMD CPUs don't have this driver but still use CPUfreq. The defaults were used through all of testing.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      Have you actually ready AMD's own server roadmaps? The only "update" is that in 2015 AMD will relabel the exact same Piledriver based Opterons that it was selling last year. That's it. Oh, and Kaveri is being re-badged as a "server" part FWIW.
      I see 4 core streamroller based opterons coming out 1H 2014, what are you seeing? http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases...013june18.aspx

Btw, Intel is also still 1 or 2 generations behind on Xeon chips as well. Not sure why high end server chips has to be that much behind, but it seems to be common.
      Last edited by carewolf; 17 January 2014, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
        I see 4 core streamroller based opterons coming out 1H 2014, what are you seeing? http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases...013june18.aspx

Btw, Intel is also still 1 or 2 generations behind on Xeon chips as well. Not sure why high end server chips has to be that much behind, but it seems to be common.
        Bug fixing

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
          I see 4 core streamroller based opterons coming out 1H 2014, what are you seeing?

Uh.. I said that AMD was rebadging Kaveri and calling it an Opteron in my earlier post. You just completely agreed with my point and then tried to make it seem like I'm wrong... you do realize that Kaveri is a "4 core" Steamroller part? (using AMD's rather loose definition of "core") As I said, and as you just agreed with me, AMD is not coming out with high-end Steamroller parts. They don't exist. A dual-core lower-priced lower-power usage Intel part will beat those chips in the large majority of CPU benches as Phoronix showed. In the server, the IGP will be even less useful for the vast majority of real-world server workloads.

As for Intel being "behind" their high-end server parts use Ivy Bridge cores which are behind the desktop Haswell cores. However, they give you a MASSIVE number of those cores and the power efficiency metrics are off the charts good. There's a reason that the new Mac Pro can pack a 12-core CPU into tiny wastebasket form factor.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
            Uh.. I said that AMD was rebadging Kaveri and calling it an Opteron in my earlier post. You just completely agreed with my point and then tried to make it seem like I'm wrong... you do realize that Kaveri is a "4 core" Steamroller part? (using AMD's rather loose definition of "core") As I said, and as you just agreed with me, AMD is not coming out with high-end Steamroller parts. They don't exist. A dual-core lower-priced lower-power usage Intel part will beat those chips in the large majority of CPU benches as Phoronix showed. In the server, the IGP will be even less useful for the vast majority of real-world server workloads.

As for Intel being "behind" their high-end server parts use Ivy Bridge cores which are behind the desktop Haswell cores. However, they give you a MASSIVE number of those cores and the power efficiency metrics are off the charts good. There's a reason that the new Mac Pro can pack a 12-core CPU into tiny wastebasket form factor.
            Well.. back in the day there was a int processor and fp co-proc. AMD really is a 4 core system based on that metric. However I think they shoot themselves for calling it that. they should say 2 module 4 threads to make sure people realize it's just a pretty darn good dual core (fp at least)

Comment

Am I right in stating that it's going to take a while before software actually uses the real power of HSA?
              There's a ludicrous amount of GFLOPS on tap in a Kaveri APU but it needs the software to leverage it?
              I'm hoping one day I can rebuild my media server with an HSA enabled APU and get much faster transcoding than I can with traditional x86 CPUs.

Will it ever be possible for compilers to automatically optimise the binaries to use the best Compute Core for the job based on the source code?
              Isn't that what LLVM is for?

Comment

Originally posted by RoboJ1M View Post
                Am I right in stating that it's going to take a while before software actually uses the real power of HSA?
                There's a ludicrous amount of GFLOPS on tap in a Kaveri APU but it needs the software to leverage it?
                I'm hoping one day I can rebuild my media server with an HSA enabled APU and get much faster transcoding than I can with traditional x86 CPUs.

Will it ever be possible for compilers to automatically optimise the binaries to use the best Compute Core for the job based on the source code?
                It all depends on AMD. They are known for releasing the hardware with lack of proper software to support it.

Comment

Originally posted by RoboJ1M View Post

OpenCL sw can use it right now. As for the magic compiler for C, C++, or the Aparapi Java backend, those are still in unicorn land.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    @Phoronix-Michael

PS: Wahoo! My 686th post. Did I win a CPU now?
                    Yup, a bugged 686 cyrix cpu

Comment

Benchmarks are somewhat moot due to the Haswell regression. Probably would have been good to benchmark with a non-bleeding edge kernel since this is what users are mostly using anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X