• Show
Clear All

• juanrga
    replied
    Excellent numbers! Thanks by benchmarking

My original predictions about Kaveri were

Comparing to obtained scores,

x264: I predicted 102 and Kaveri scores 94.45. Percent error = -7%
    John The Ripper: I predicted 4310.46 and Kaveri scores 3631. Percent error = -16%
    C-Ray: I predicted 38.96 and Kaveri scores 37.00. Percent error = -5%
    Himeno: I predicted 845.64 and Kaveri scores 958.10. Percent error = +13%

The average of the percent error is -4%. I am waiting for more scores.

My predictions assumed a 4GHz CPU. Kaveri is finally 3.7GHz. If I had know the real frequency before, I would offer better estimations. For instance, I would predict 94.35 (=102x3.7/4) for x264. The percent error had been reduced to 1% then :lol:

The John The Ripper score is too small. Part of the discrepancy can be explained by the clock reduction in Kaveri, but still there is about a 9% less performance. Could it could be a compiler regression for bdver2 and the score improve in a posterior test with an updated compiler?

At the other hand, the Himeno score is much better than I expected. The improvement is even more impressive when we consider the clock reduction. The improvement is of 22%, which implies more than 30% IPC. This huge IPC gain is about the same found in Wprime, in games, and in Floating Point GeekBenches. Apparently the FPU units were not improved. I believe that the improvement in floating point performance is due to the improvements made in the L2 cache. Do you agree on this analysis?

The average of the percent error is -4%. Would I say that Kaveri CPU performs about 4% poor than I predicted?

Leave a comment:

• psycho_driver
    replied
    Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    Another interesting Kaveri APU to test would be the A8-7600 in special when set in BIOS to 45W TDP instead of the stock 65W

It seems to be a very interesting APU for a HTPC on steroids

I also wonder if it's possible to underclock and undervolt a A10-7850K and/or a A10-7700K till it gets at same level of low power drain than a A8-7600 set to 45W (AFAIK, A10-7850K and A10-7700K don't allow configurable TDP as an A8-7600, correct me if i'm wrong)
    This was the part TechReport benchmarked and there was no performance difference in games between 45W or 65W settings. Definitely a win/win for a gaming-oriented HTPC chip if AMD would ever get their drivers up to snuff.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    (Why should one want this by the way? O_o To use a spare unneeded K version as HTPC? Bad reason)
    Why is that a bad reason? I'm doing pretty much that, just it's a Phenom II X4 in my case. And I'd love if it could scale down, but the lowest setting causes quite a bit of heat and therefore noise... Same with the graphics card (HD 4890). I guess that was one of the reasons for hybrid graphics, so that when not needed, a low TDP chip can be used, as apparently high TDP ones can't scale down well. (I'm still not sure why, though...)

Leave a comment:

• edgar_wibeau
    replied
    I also wonder if it's possible to underclock and undervolt a A10-7850K and/or a A10-7700K till it gets at same level of low power drain than a A8-7600 set to 45W (AFAIK, A10-7850K and A10-7700K don't allow configurable TDP as an A8-7600, correct me if i'm wrong)
    I've read somewhere that it's possible to set the TDP for the higher rated APUs too, but AMD only guarantees that it works as expected for the A8-7600 for the time being.

You can see here that in this UEFI Setup there is a mulitplier of 41 set (resulting in 4.1 GHz), so it mast be a "K" Kaveri - either a 7850K or a 7700K. And at least it's possible to set a lower TDP (65W or 45W) value or leave it at default.

Yep, I'm also looking forward to the 65/45W cTDP - and even more so for the mobile - parts!

Leave a comment:

• Kemosabe
    replied
    Another interesting Kaveri APU to test would be the A8-7600 in special when set in BIOS to 45W TDP instead of the stock 65W

This was not possible with Richland, Trinity and Llano. The chances are low Kaveri will do it better.
    (Why should one want this by the way? O_o To use a spare unneeded K version as HTPC? Bad reason)

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied

Last edited by AJSB; 01-15-2014, 06:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X