Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Clang 3.4 Compiler Performance Is Doing Good

Phoronix: LLVM Clang 3.4 Compiler Performance Is Doing Good

The release of LLVM 3.4 is imminent and with the major compiler infrastructure upgrade comes update to the Clang C/C++ compiler front-end, LLDB debugger, and other LLVM sub-projects. LLVM 3.4 is a very righteous release and in celebration of its forthcoming release, it's back into compiler benchmarking season at Phoronix.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix
    LLVM 3.4 is a very righteous release
    What does that even mean???

I swear, sometimes Michael just plays Mad Libs with his article intros.

Comment

I don't see GCC 4.8 results thus this article becomes less useful ... almost useless

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        LLVM Clang 3.4 Compiler Performance Is Doing Good
        ARGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!! This is one of by pet peeves. Unless LLVM is consciously doing good deeds or acts of kindness compiling your code quickly into a fast binary (I don't think it cares), it should be "...Doing Well".

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        I don't see GCC 4.8 results thus this article becomes less useful ... almost useless
        The point of the article was to compare LLVM 3.3 against current 3.4:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        When LLVM 3.4 is officially declared as stable, more benchmarks will be coming on Phoronix and reference compiler performance benchmarks against GCC, etc.
        I'm looking forward to that article, too
        ... and when intel mainlines openmp

Comment

LLVM Clang 3.4 Compiler Performance Is Doing Good
          How hard is it to correctly state?:

LLVM Clang 3.4 Compiler Performance Is Doing Well
          You feel good, a compiler doesn't do good, nor does its performance do good. It's performing well.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            You feel good, a compiler doesn't do good, nor does its performance do good. It's performing well.
            Maybe it was just a giant joke Michael is playing on us? That's why he said it was righteous?

Comment

English isn't his first language. If you want to correct him that's fine but I think it would be nice to do so with a little less attitude.
              It is a common mistake even among native English speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                What does that even mean???

I swear, sometimes Michael just plays Mad Libs with his article intros.
                It's US English slang meaning (of the very best kind <a nightspot that's a dependable venue for righteous jazz>)

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Maybe it was just a giant joke Michael is playing on us? That's why he said it was righteous?
                  See my post above in regards to righteous, and your wrong on both accounts a compiler does nether. But in the US both "Good and Well" are appropriate in this context.

My father is in "Good" health.
                  My father is doing "Well"

The Compiler is in "Good" health.
                  The compiler is doing "Well"

In the US both "Good" and "Well" are not normally mutually exclusive.
                  Last edited by zester; 22 December 2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I also find it strange, that we consider the US's native language to be English, when the American spoken language is actually made up of English, German, French, Spanish, ...

In my family we address many things by there Polish name. And I am not even Polish but my wife is.
                    Last edited by zester; 22 December 2013, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X