No announcement yet.

ARM Cortex-A15 big.LITTLE Pitted Against Intel, AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Intel/AMD CPUs are running at twice the clock frequency, are using 64-bit (the Exynos does only 32), have up to 12 cores (the Exynos has only four) and come with multiple, fast memory channels. It also isn't clear if SIMD units (SSE/NEON) were used properly.

This must be one of the worst comparisons ever, and the Exynos did incredibly well regarding the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
      But as Intel said there will be 100 USD Bay Trail tablets this christmas season and as easy as to plug in any 10 USD keyboard to make it a combo full reviews of ubuntu at this tablets before this 100 USD models arrive to the market would be great even can make one brand to bet for Ubuntu preinstalled as an option or model
      Yeah right. Just like Intel promised 499$ ultrabooks.

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
        My advice to everyone: stop believing Intel's misleading press releases (and yes, that includes even tech sites like Anandtech and others who talk about it a whole year before even being able to review the chips. They are just as clueless when they can't review the chips, and have to rely on Intel's press releases, too, and be opinionated about that. But those opinions can't really be trusted either until they review the chips, and include bias just like from everyone on the Internet).
        Bay Trail should be supported by regular Linux distros unlike ARM toys.

Comment

Here you go:

Roughly same CPU and GPU performance (offscreen, obviously, on-screen is resolution dependent) as last year's Exynos 5250 (on the Chromebook, on Nexus 10 it seems pretty obvious Android impacts its performance negatively).

Battery life is also quite poor. 31Wh/7,000 mAh battery that gets less battery life as Nexus 7 and iPad Mini, which have ~4,000 mAh batteries.

My advice to everyone: stop believing Intel's misleading press releases (and yes, that includes even tech sites like Anandtech and others who talk about it a whole year before even being able to review the chips. They are just as clueless when they can't review the chips, and have to rely on Intel's press releases, too, and be opinionated about that. But those opinions can't really be trusted either until they review the chips, and include bias just like from everyone on the Internet).
          Well it seems quite competitive CPU, GPU and price wise with the chrome book, but achieves at least 50% more battery life with the same battery size (30Wh for the chromebook 11).
          That doesn't seem that bad, or did I miss something?

Comment

Michael,

Don't know if you have any Qualcomm Snapdragon Krait hardware sitting around, but it would be super interesting to compare the new A15 to the Krait architecture (ie Snapdragon 400, 600, 800).

Comment

I believed Krait started with S4/S4Pro, right ? But I don't know where to find it apart from the HTC One S.

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
                Michael,

Don't know if you have any Qualcomm Snapdragon Krait hardware sitting around, but it would be super interesting to compare the new A15 to the Krait architecture (ie Snapdragon 400, 600, 800).
                Nope......
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
                  I believed Krait started with S4/S4Pro, right ? But I don't know where to find it apart from the HTC One S.
                  Nexus 4 (Snapdragon S4 Pro)
                  Nexus 7 2013 (Snapdragon S4 Pro ~ relabeled/underclocked Snapdragon 600)
                  Asus PadFone (Snapdragon S4 Pro?)
                  Galaxy SIII North America & Japan (Snapdragon S4 Pro)
                  Galaxy SIV i9505 version (Krait 300 Quad Core)

Comment

Here you go:

Roughly same CPU and GPU performance (offscreen, obviously, on-screen is resolution dependent) as last year's Exynos 5250 (on the Chromebook, on Nexus 10 it seems pretty obvious Android impacts its performance negatively).

Battery life is also quite poor. 31Wh/7,000 mAh battery that gets less battery life as Nexus 7 and iPad Mini, which have ~4,000 mAh batteries.

I apologize for not being clear in my expectations but anything that has an ARM SoC isn't likely to be a target device for me. So the only devices I'm personally interested in actually buying would be running on an Intel Atom or an AMD Kabini/Temash chip.

ARM benchmarks are always fun to read though seeing that there's a lot going on in that space. Too bad I'm just some average Linux end user and ARM hasn't reached the space where I'm actually buying products from other than my phone.

Comment

Working...
                    X