Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARM Cortex-A15 Quad-Core Linux ODROID-XU Tests

Phoronix: ARM Cortex-A15 Quad-Core Linux ODROID-XU Tests

When the first ARM Cortex-A15 SoCs started rolling out in devices I found the dual-core A15 performance to be crazy fast for ARM and still find the Cortex-A15 performance to be great for low-power devices. Now, however, there's quad-core Cortex-A15 SoCs and even with the big.LITTLE architecture these four A15 cores can be paired with four A7 cores. In this article are our first benchmark results to share of a Samsung Exynos 5 Octa with a 1.6GHz Cortex-A15 configuration paired with a quad-core Cortex-A7 processor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be great to see this processor compared to the new Snapdragon S4 800

Comment

Looks like it's noticeably better than Odroid-X2 with quad core Exynos, and it's getting close to Sandy Bridge i5 (my benchmarks: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...FO-1305102FO57 ). The only problem is that ARMs GPUs doesn't have as nice drivers as Intel ones (+usually Android oriented and not X.org).

Comment

I still have a hard time understanding the purpose of the big.LITTLE architectures, or other similar platforms such as OMAP5.

Anyway, I own an odroid-U2 and it's a pretty fantastic platform. I wish there was openGL acceleration (rather than OGL ES) but it being a quad core makes up for the performance hit it takes for having the CPU render everything.

Comment

Odroid already published some PTS benchmarks.

I wonder how much the benchmarks actually stress the hardware, threaded benchmarks should perform better here. Also it will be interesting to see whether the performance jump is significant when the new Heterogenous Multi Processor chips come out that can utilise all 8 cores at the same time.

Comment

I'm very interested in purchasing an ODROID-XU for running a GNU/Linux server on it and potentially even purchasing one for basic desktop use, but I can't find much information about how the PowerVR SGX performs in X.Org? Would anyone here be able to clear up a few things for me?

I see mention above that the card supports GL ES.

Are there any drivers (open or closed) that work on a GNU/Linux stack that allow it to do 3D rendering in X.Org? If so, what kind of performance do you get?
            Where do you obtain drivers? (I had a quick search on the PowerVR site and saw nothing of use)
            Can it render 1080p videos fine, and does it support hardware decode of many formats?

Are there any other Cortex A15 boards that use a GPU from a company that is a little more supportive of open source, or at least has some in-development drivers even if not driven by the company producing the chip? (e.g. like the lima project).

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
              Odroid already published some PTS benchmarks.

I wonder how much the benchmarks actually stress the hardware, threaded benchmarks should perform better here. Also it will be interesting to see whether the performance jump is significant when the new Heterogenous Multi Processor chips come out that can utilise all 8 cores at the same time.
              Pretty cool results, even seeing the Samsung Chromebook beating out the atom d525 when it's half the threads and (I think) a lower frequency.

I'm getting the impression that those tests were only for the 4 A15 cores, which is still impressive results.

Comment

Odroid-XU vs Odroid-U2

I own one of the older Odroid boards, the Odroid-X, which was subsequently superseded by the X2 and now the XU.

Currently, Odroid sells two boards, the XU and U2. The XU is almost twice the price of the U2, and the U2 is super small in size. Also, the XU uses more power and it's even recommended that you install a fan (included with the board).

My point being that there are some reasons why people are still buying the U2 rather than the XU, though I'm sure both are great. So what I would really like to see is a comparative benchmark showing the XU vs the U2. It would help me make a decision on which one to get (maybe I'll even get both and use them for different purposes).

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
                  I'm very interested in purchasing an ODROID-XU for running a GNU/Linux server on it and potentially even purchasing one for basic desktop use, but I can't find much information about how the PowerVR SGX performs in X.Org? Would anyone here be able to clear up a few things for me?

I see mention above that the card supports GL ES.

Are there any drivers (open or closed) that work on a GNU/Linux stack that allow it to do 3D rendering in X.Org? If so, what kind of performance do you get?
                  Where do you obtain drivers? (I had a quick search on the PowerVR site and saw nothing of use)
                  Can it render 1080p videos fine, and does it support hardware decode of many formats?

Are there any other Cortex A15 boards that use a GPU from a company that is a little more supportive of open source, or at least has some in-development drivers even if not driven by the company producing the chip? (e.g. like the lima project).
                  That's what really has me wary of much of this ARM stuff. Getting non-insane drivers is probably like playing Russian roulette. Then you have the chips from third-rate Chinese companies where you have to pray that you can get kernel compatibility.

Somewhat ironically, I'm almost ready to think that NVIDIA will end up being the go-to ARM guy for people who want sane drivers. I don't think they're in any dev boards like these though... except maybe that Kayla thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    That's what really has me wary of much of this ARM stuff. Getting non-insane drivers is probably like playing Russian roulette. Then you have the chips from third-rate Chinese companies where you have to pray that you can get kernel compatibility.

Somewhat ironically, I'm almost ready to think that NVIDIA will end up being the go-to ARM guy for people who want sane drivers. I don't think they're in any dev boards like these though... except maybe that Kayla thingy.
                    Things are rapidly improving though.

Sadly there is no fast SoC with things like SATA, a useful GPU _and_ an existing developer community.

Without the latter, you're really nowhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X