Intel Xeon 5300 Clovertown Benchmarks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    In regards to the i5000X, if I recall correctly, I have used Dapper Drake without any problems. I don't think I had tried out an i5000P on Dapper Drake or any other enterprise distributions.
    That's good to know. Thanks!

Comment

For these multi-core processors, I'd be interested in benchmarks that exercise the system while doing more than one thing at a time.

Synthetic benchmarks are all well and good, but how does the system do when trying to *really* multitask? Consider a server (which is where the Xeon is really targeted IMHO), how does it look when getting concurrent loads (from a network, not the local machine) on Apache, MySQL, and PHP?

I know there are tools for artificially loading servers ('siege' is an http tool that comes to mind), but I do not know if there is a benchmark "suite" that makes the process of setting up and running the tests manageable.

Also of note is the fact that the 2.6 kernel has tuning parameters for a lot things that can really affect overall system performance. Perhaps running the tests with kernels configured for "desktop" and "server" tuning sets would be interesting. (Please note, I am not a kernel hacker.)

Kernel parameters that I think could be considered include:

- Processor Family (e.g. - *not* using a generic selection)
      - Max number of CPU's
      - SMT and Multi-core (CPU) schedulers
      - I/O schedulers (Anticipatory, Deadline, CFQ)
      - Preemption Model (No Forced (Server), Voluntary (Desktop), Preemptible (Low-Latency Desktop))
      - Preempt the Big Kernel Lock (Desktop)
      - High Memory Support (select "4GB" for between 1 & 4GB RAM!)
      - Allocate 3rd-level pagetables from highmem
      - MTRR support (not selecting this will cause graphics support to *really* suck.)
      - Enable kernel IRQ balancing
      - Use register arguments
      - Timer frequency (lower for servers, higher for desktops)
      - Choice of on-disk filesystems (ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs, etc.)

Oh, and don't forget all of the kernel "patchsets" out there that further tweak the kernel.

Thanks for listening.

Comment

Sounds like fun, may have to try it out
        Any success?

According to Intel,
        E5320 Core Voltage is 1.5V http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL9MV

If this is really true, it may indicate that Intel uses lowest-quality parts for E5310 and E5320. Definitely not recommended for overclocking.

Can you please verify this with your E5320? Either in BIOS,
        or under Windows cpu-z 1.37, rmclock, CrystallCPUID. msr under Linux.

I cant find this information anywhere, please help me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cronos View Post
          Any success?

According to Intel,
          E5320 Core Voltage is 1.5V http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL9MV
          Haven't tried the overclocking yet.

Monitoring it from the BIOS, both E5320 parts are running between 1.136V and 1.208V.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Haven't tried the overclocking yet.

Monitoring it from the BIOS, both E5320 parts are running between 1.136V and 1.208V.
            Thanks for info. Great news!
            I hope Intel's Speedstep C1 is not affecting this voltage?

By the way, if you are really interested in overclocking, i will gladly provide any help. You may consider me as the best expert in Woodcrest/Clovertown overclocking area (joke, but close).
            I invested great deal of efforts in this, though only theoretically for now

I can provide you with SMBus read/write tool for Linux and instructions how to use it. One person at 2cpu.com (XeonTux) succesfully used it to overclock his Woodcrest Xeons. I cant find any more testers -they are all hardcore Windows Weenies

For 1066FSB CPU, regardless whether you have DDR2 667 or 533, the overclocking may be limited by memory. You will need to make 1333FSB mod first. Several ppl, inlcuding the author of this mod XeonTux, already made this mod -it is really easy and safe.

Comment

I'll check again next time I am tinkering with the that Clovertown setup, but EIST should have been disabled so it would be running at its maximum frequency.

The reason for not trying the overclocking yet has been due to only having so much time in a day However, if you want to post some additional information in this thread I or someone else working with me will give it a shot.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

I think, the easiest thing is to try software overclocking first.

Under Windows, please download systool utility
                http://www.techpowerup.com/systool/
                choose PLL ICS932S401 from the list. Try small FSB steps at a time.

Under Linux, please mail me at [email protected]

and i'll send you the utility and instructions to use.

Low voltage and weak memory will most certailny prevent you from having good overclock. For good OC, you will have to
                1, Make a Vcore mod and
                2. Make a 1333FSB mod.

Both are done through isolating and re-connecting CPU legs, This is easy and does not require any permanent moduifications or soldering.

Comment

jowa,

Thank you for your comments and we will definitely evaluate your suggestion.

In regards to the i5000X, if I recall correctly, I have used Dapper Drake without any problems. I don't think I had tried out an i5000P on Dapper Drake or any other enterprise distributions.
                  hey Michael. I had a question on your Tyan Board and the Clovertown Processor support. Was there A BIOS update that needed to be done to support the clovertown processors, or did you just drop them in and there was no problems? If so. would this be the same story for other models of the tempest lineup with a Blackford chipset? Example the Tyan Tempest S5382?

Thanks in advance

Yes it has been a long time since my last visit. Life is Busy

Comment

For the Tyan Tempest i5000XT no BIOS update was needed, but the board was specifically intended for the Clovertown series. For the rest of the Tempest series, however, it is different.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

How do i overclock intel sample clovertown chips from 2.4ghz

For the Tyan Tempest i5000XT no BIOS update was needed, but the board was specifically intended for the Clovertown series. For the rest of the Tempest series, however, it is different.
                      Hello all,
                      how can i overclock clovertown sample pair on tyan tempest 5370?Default mhz is 2.4ghz.Is there a bios which would give me the extra options or do i have do a bsel mod like the old 604 xeons or is there any easier way?
                      Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all
                      comp freak

Comment

Working...
                      X