X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux =!= Ubuntu

<
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    The idealist in me wants to see PowerPC supported, so you can run Linux on any platform and so there can be alternatives to x86.

The realist in me understands why they they drop PowerPC support. Too little market share, and no momentum behind it.

It would be cool if there were other architectures on the desktop that were popular than x86.
    Like ARM, POWER, SPARC, etc. So there could be some diversity...
    Linux =!= Ubuntu,

BTW: It's GNU/Linux, not Linux. Linux is the Kernel. GNU/Linux is the operating system.

For great architecture-support, use distributions like Debian or Gentoo. I don't consider Ubuntu a GNU/Linux-distribution anymore, because they don't contribute to upstream.
    Sadly, most people think that Ubuntu is the only distribution out there. GNU/Linux's reputation on the Desktop is directly bound to Canonical's decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
      I don't consider Ubuntu a GNU/Linux-distribution anymore, because they don't contribute to upstream.
      That meme needs to die. For example, look at the pulseaudio 4.0 release notes: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Soft...dio/Notes/4.0/
      David Henningsson works for Canonical...

As for losing official powerpc support, that's not surprising after they dropped non-PAE support. Ubuntu has become a very forward-looking distro.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        That meme needs to die. For example, look at the pulseaudio 4.0 release notes: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Soft...dio/Notes/4.0/

As for losing official powerpc support, that's not surprising after they dropped non-PAE support. Ubuntu has become a very forward-looking distro.
        So? PA needs to die. Just because this guy works for canonical doesnt mean jack shit. PA is still buggy ass broken nonfunctional bloatware. Personally I'm sick and tired of distro's, Fedora and Ubuntu especially, pushing buggy ass nonfunctional bloatware on us and trying there very hardest to convince us that it is the "only" way.

Fuck them.

EDIT: The biggest reason I can't stand PA is because it is fucking HUGE. It's literally gigantic. The second biggest reason I hate it is that it doesnt work, it's the buggiest software I've ever been -forced- to use. The third reason it urks the shit out of me is that when you look at it's bug tracker the vast majority of bugs get closed without -any- resolution because they blame most of them on Alsa even though Alsa works perfectly without PA.
        Last edited by duby229; 30 July 2013, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Nice!

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          So? PA needs to die. Just because this guy works for canonical doesnt mean jack shit. PA is still buggy ass broken nonfunctional bloatware. Personally I'm sick and tired of distro's, Fedora and Ubuntu especially, pushing buggy ass nonfunctional bloatware on us and trying there very hardest to convince us that it is the "only" way.

Fuck them.
          +42

Well put! I agree totally.

Comment

I don't use PA either, but that wasn't the point...

So?
            So Ubuntu contributes to "upstream" projects and people need to stop repeating "Ubuntu doesn't contribute anything upstream" like parrots.

Comment

I don't use PA either, but that wasn't the point...

So Ubuntu contributes to "upstream" projects and people need to stop repeating "Ubuntu doesn't contribute anything upstream" like parrots.
              OK so "doesn't" should be replaced with "extremely rarely and only on a few pointless projects that don't mean jack shit"

Comment

So lets summarize your comment:
                As proof that Canonical does contribute to upstream you list one guy. Are you serious?

Second sentence is just PR and PAE is AFAIK an abomination.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                  As proof that Canonical does contribute to upstream you list one guy. Are you serious?
                  One example was sufficient to disprove the "Ubuntu does not contribute anything upstream" statement, so yes, I'm serious. (Are you serious or do you not understand basic logic?)

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    The third reason it urks the shit out of me is that when you look at it's bug tracker the vast majority of bugs get closed without -any- resolution because they blame most of them on Alsa even though Alsa works perfectly without PA.
                    So, you have tested all of the code paths in ALSA that PA hits that other applications may not and verified that they work on all cards? The reality is that PA uses the ALSA API in ways slightly different than other applications do on account of its differing requirements. This causes it to expose bugs that other applications may not. It is hardly PA's fault if the layer under them is buggy; it is right to close the bug as invalid and file it upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowBane View Post
                      So, you have tested all of the code paths in ALSA that PA hits that other applications may not and verified that they work on all cards? The reality is that PA uses the ALSA API in ways slightly different than other applications do on account of its differing requirements. This causes it to expose bugs that other applications may not. It is hardly PA's fault if the layer under them is buggy; it is right to close the bug as invalid and file it upstream.
                      The bottom line is, if PA is using the Alsa interface incorrectly then it is a problem PA. This "pass the buck" crap needs to stop. Alsa works just perfectly without PA. It's PA that doesnt work. It's for these reasons that PA should simply be forced to die. Every distro should boycott it. I can almost promise that if they did a new sound server would be implemented by someone somewhere. As the status quo is PA is doing nothing but hurting.
                      Last edited by duby229; 30 July 2013, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X