Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Desktop To Drop PowerPC Support

Phoronix: Ubuntu Desktop To Drop PowerPC Support

The Ubuntu desktop images for the IBM PowerPC architecture are set to be eliminated...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking at how much powerpc is used outside of servers nowadays I would say its hardly a big loss.

Comment

I used to run ubuntu on a Powerbook G4 and Yellowdog on a iMac before that. But i've not had any powerpc hardware for about 5 years now.

Comment

I'm planning to install Lubuntu on some old G3 iMac that they use at i company I know, so as long as that is available I'm fine with this move. But a little concerning that Unity doesn't build on PPC.

Comment

The idealist in me wants to see PowerPC supported, so you can run Linux on any platform and so there can be alternatives to x86.

The realist in me understands why they they drop PowerPC support. Too little market share, and no momentum behind it.

It would be cool if there were other architectures on the desktop that were popular than x86.
          Like ARM, POWER, SPARC, etc. So there could be some diversity...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            The idealist in me wants to see PowerPC supported, so you can run Linux on any platform and so there can be alternatives to x86.

The realist in me understands why they they drop PowerPC support. Too little market share, and no momentum behind it.

It would be cool if there were other architectures on the desktop that were popular than x86.
            MIPS has some traction in China.

Comment

ARM is moderately popular. If there were more ARM-based laptops out there, or convertible tablets that aren't overpriced, then I'd have gladly bought a new ARM system lately. I've been using the ODROID-U2 and it's fantastic, but I'd rather it be mobile. I'd have gone with the Samsung Chromebook if it didn't have so many stupid design flaws.

Comment

No, it wouldn't be very cool. We had that situation back in the 80s and early 90s, with a plethora of computer platforms, all incompatible with each other.

It would be cool if there were a common open-source CPU architecture that all CPU manufacturers could use without licensing or royalties or patent threats. Every computer could be using the same arch. Also, I'd like to win the lottery and live forever, as long as we're wishing...

Comment

I have 12.04 on my PowerPC G4 laptop, and it's faster then Mac OSX and more capable. The major problem though is that it requires a lot of effort to get it working. Sound, video, and even being able to play YouTube videos. Back in 10.04 I could use compiz for nice effects for the desktop, but doesn't work in 12.04, even though I did get OpenGL acceleration working... painfully.

Comment

You don't have to use Ubuntu. There are other distro's that will continue to support PPC.

Comment

Working...
                    X