Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 13.10 32-bit vs. 64-bit Performance

Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.10 32-bit vs. 64-bit Performance

While 64-bit Linux desktop support has been in good shape for years, it seems there's a surprising number of Intel/AMD Linux desktop users undecided whether to use the 32-bit or 64-bit installation images of their favorite Linux distribution. For the latest perspective on 32-bit versus 64-bit Linux performance, here are said benchmarks from the latest Ubuntu 13.10 development state.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Close my acount

Close my acount i don't need more. This site is about ubuntu and i think is the worst distro.

Comment

Originally posted by felipe View Post
      Close my acount i don't need more. This site is about ubuntu and i think is the worst distro.
      Just log out and never come back then.

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
        Just log out and never come back then.
        It would be nice to see Michael test a Linux distribution instead of Ubuntu every once in a while. Or at least, more often than he currently does.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
          It would be nice to see Michael test a Linux distribution instead of Ubuntu every once in a while. Or at least, more often than he currently does.
          Would be nice to see some Linux Mint benchmarks, granted it's still based on Ubuntu it works a LOT better than Ubuntu most times.

It's his website, he can do whatever the hell he wants so it doesn't bother me that he only benchmarks Ubuntu most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
            granted it's still based on Ubuntu it works a LOT better than Ubuntu most times.
            Yes, but unlike Ubuntu proper, Mint isn't trying to "android" itself.

Android is not a linux distribution. MacOS is not a BSD distribution. Ubuntu is headed in this direction.

Comment

sure it would be nice to see other distros benchmarked but there are 234723647236 disto out there and he choosed to benchmark that one.maybe he does not want to change his everyday operating system to benchmark the other 234723647236 distro or is lazy or doesnt even give a sh*t. your hatred on ubuntu makes you out of control,there the irrelevant bs comments comes out

Comment

Bye bye

Comment

Oh stop it already you guys. Ubuntu is his reference point, it's the most popular distribution and that is just fine. Occasionally there are cross-distro comparissions, which is good enough.

What does this benchmark try to show us? That x86_64 is a bit ahead of i386, and I bet that's the same across the line. Personally, I'm not bothered one bit by the use of Ubuntu.

Generally, more important would be (in graphics tests, not the case here anyway) is the various compositers. I notice that gnome-shell/unity3D do hit 3D performance quite a bit, so on tests involving 3D there should be the standard reference system used, and one where for example mate is running, e.g. uncomposited.

The only thing really missing in this benchmark, is x32, if that's what its called. e.g. x86_64 with 32bit memory pointers. The best of both worlds, was it not?

So hint for next time Michael, there's 3 options now for x86 testing, i386, x86_64 and x86_32. Though I'll admit, x86_32 is quite harder to test, since I don't think Ubuntu does that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by omglotsofdots View Post
                    but there are 234723647236 disto out there....
                    Here comes the F.U.D.

Nearly universally, people are saying the same names over again, which are recognized generally in the top 5, 10 or so linux distributions. Nobody is asking for Paldo Linux to be tested. Linux Mint, Linux Debian, Fedora, Mandriva(or whatever it's calling itself these days), Suse, Gentoo, and a handfull of others are all well known distributions.

And none of them are trying to turn themselves into a walled garden like Ubuntu is. That's what the controversy is all about. Ubuntu as a walled garden. It's not there yet, but everybody can see the bricks being laid.

Comment

Working...
                    X